General discussion

Avg 2011 Installation error

I was installing AVG 2011 free version on a computer running Windows XP. At the end of the installation was prompted to restart my computer. I restarted the computer and received this error:

AVG Installer - Error
A system restart is required in order to continue with the installation. Please restart your system and try again.

I get this error each time I restart and cannot get past it. How should I proceed?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Avg 2011 Installation error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Avg 2011 Installation error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you cannot get into Windows

If this means the computer will not load Windows normally try booting into Safe Mode.

Restart the computer and just before Windows begins to load, start pressing the F8 key gently once a second. After a short while the black screen will display a list of "Safe Mode" options with the first being Safe Mode itself. That should be highlighted but if not use the arrow keys to highlight it, then press the Enter key on the keyboard.

If this works Windows will load into a diagnostic mode, ie no Desktop images, lower screen resolution and larger icons. I would first see if that alone fixes the problem by then rebooting back into normal mode.

If not, restart again into the Safe Mode and try a System Restore to restore your computer back to where it was before you attempted to install AVG.

Mark

- Collapse -
Avg 2011 Installation error

Hi Mark, it does start windows, and you can continue as normal, but Avg 2011 will not install, and I keep getting the error message every time I start up my laptop.

I have tried this solution:-

please follow these steps:
- open registry editor (menu Start -> Run -> enter "regedit" and confirm OK)
- find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

- right-click on it and choose "Export" to backup
- remove record named "PendingFileRenameOperations"

But it didn't work.

Thanks Nicky

- Collapse -
Re: Avg 2011 Installation error

Hello nickydunwell,

have you installed Windows updates recently? (or is possible to update operating system properly)

Please provide us with AVG installation logs - upload them to a favorite online storage and provide us with link.

Thank you

- Collapse -
files

I have located the mfa and msi log files. Is there a way I can email them to you?

- Collapse -
Re: Files

Hello daredevil_2010,

please pack them in an archive (zip file) and upload to favorite online storage, then provide us with the link to uploaded file (or open my CNET profile and send the link in the message).

Please check this Microsoft article to check Windows Installer and reinstall it with latest version.

Thank you

- Collapse -
Re: Link to log file

Hello nickydunwell,

please remove all AVG remains with latest AVG remover from AVG website and check the AVG installation again.

If the issue still persists, please check this my CNET post.

Thank you

- Collapse -
Same Problem

I get the same error message. I have tried to "Restore" and it still shows up. It will never install correctly and always tells me I need to restart. Windows works fine without it though. I have Vista.

- Collapse -
Re: Same Problem

CNET Forums

Forum Info