General discussion

Averatec 5500 Laptop windows XP: wont stay on,

i did the reset that I saw on the forum and that worked, computer stayed on for about an hour then just turned off.

i cleaned the fan with an air gun prior to doing the reset.
the other day the screen had all kinds of lines on it and wouldnt go to the welcome screen, I turned it off and on a few times and finally got it to go to the welcome screen. today it wouldnt come on at all and then I did the reset and that worked, but as stated above it shut down after an hour.

what do you think is making it shut down? could it be the power supply, motherboard, not sure.

any suggestions would be helpful
not under warranty, 5 yrs old

thank you

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Averatec 5500 Laptop windows XP: wont stay on,
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Averatec 5500 Laptop windows XP: wont stay on,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You did that reset.

Later in the forum sticky you find about cleaning. But this one is very old so we need to go deeper to replace the heatsink compound. Along the way we get to assure ourselves that the heatsink is buttoned down proper and not wiggling or rocking.

The nice part about this is we are on a machine past its life span so we can learn more about PC and laptop repairs on such units.

This is something some techs think is optional. (heat sink compound.)
Bob

- Collapse -
heat sink

Bob,
I will try that heat sink suggestion. the link you posted took me to all kinds of sites. was there one in particular to show how to remove the keyboard for the averatec?

thank you

- Collapse -
Sorry no.

I don't know of a specific site about the avertec. What you learn is to search for such and failing that after you've taken apart a few dozen machines they all start to look the same. That is, the top post about toshiba disassembly helps in other makes.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info