TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Average LED TV or Better IPS Monitor for TV Images?

Hey,

I am looking to buy a small (24-27") display for my bedroom, in order to watch some TV and a bit of Netflix, etc. I will not be using it with an ordinary computer, but with a Chromecast.
My bedroom does not get a lot of direct sunlight, but I'm concerned viewing angles could become an issue.

I am trying to decide between buying an ordinary, average TV set or a better PC IPS monitor and an external decoder to handle TV signals. Price is almost the same.

The TV alternative might be something like this, an average Philips LED (sorry only found a PDF in english):

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/22pfl2978h_12/22pfl2978h_12_pss_engsi.pdf

As for the monitor I'm thinking something like these:

SAMSUNG S24C650PL Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Height, Pivot, Swivel, Tilt LCD Monitor AD-PLS 250 cd/m2 1000:1 / Mega Infinity Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

or

Amazon.com: Philips 234E5QDAB/00 237E5Q Edge E-Line, Glossy Black, 23", 16.9, W-LED, 1920x1080, AH-ips, 178/178 (CR10), 1000:1, 6ms: Computers & Accessories

Now in terms of picture quality and viewing angles alone, which would be the better option?
Is the TVs picture enhancement technology enough to offset the better quality of an IPS panel?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Average LED TV or Better IPS Monitor for TV Images?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Average LED TV or Better IPS Monitor for TV Images?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Size will help w/ viewing angle issue

In reply to: Average LED TV or Better IPS Monitor for TV Images?

Right now, there are so many 32-40" LED HDTVs for sale in the $250-300 range, it makes little sense to buy a tiny high quality monitor since the HDTVs do so much more.

Besides that, there's the size issue. If viewing angles will at all become an issue (hard to imagine this in a typically sized bedroom though), you would be better off with a *wider* (e.g.larger) display that won't suffer the same issue. In other words, the $250-300 32" HDTV will provide a better viewing angle/be easier to watch a movie on than the tiny IPS monitor would.

More importantly, how are you going to handle sound?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Thanks

In reply to: Average LED TV or Better IPS Monitor for TV Images?

My bedroom is very "rectangularly" shaped, and the only time you would get a direct angle at the display would be when I'm actually in bed. However, I spend a lot of time in the room when not in bed, e.g. when folding clothes.

The small size is due to WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) and also that due to the layout of the room, a larger display really doesn't work aesthetically.

I actually forgot to check if the monitors I linked have built in speakers, but I know there are many that do.

When you say a HDTV can do so much more, what specifically do you have in mind?

Collapse -
I am familiar with WAF

In reply to: Thanks

IME though, sometimes the WUF factor (wife understanding factor) gets diminished when you try hard dealing with WAF. [You need to educate and inform before telling her your plans(!) ;)]

Seriously, a 24" monitor will be harder for both of you watch since you won't see as much of the detail. Those Philips may technically be IPS, but they are nothing particular special performance-wise. And built in speakers are usually terrible- arguably worse than some of the HDTVs. That leads me to a 32" LED, which doesn't really have a big footprint for an average sized room. You would also gain more connections and audio outputs, making it a more flexible device.

Good luck.

All Answers

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.