Camcorders forum

General discussion

AVCHD files - m2ts, moff, modd

by dj_808 / January 23, 2008 7:39 AM PST

I just downloaded some video from my Sony HDR-CX& to my computer and see that each clip generates 3 files (.m2ts, .modd, and .moff). Are the smaller files metadata files? I imagine I need to keep them all around.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVCHD files - m2ts, moff, modd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVCHD files - m2ts, moff, modd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) It would be a good idea to keep those.
by whizkid454 / January 23, 2008 7:46 AM PST
Collapse -
what do you need to play AVCHD on XP ?
by rfmcclure / June 25, 2008 11:50 PM PDT

what do you need to play AVCHD on XP ?

Collapse -
A video player that supports AVCHD.
by whizkid454 / June 26, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

Google: AVCHD video players

Collapse -
how do you convert Sony m2ts to wmv-HD ?
by rfmcclure / July 7, 2008 10:35 PM PDT

Windows Media Player 11 plays the wmv-HD files that I found at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx
I'm sure there is a way to convert the (modd moff m2ts) files from my Sony Handycam HDR-SR12 and end up with the wmv-HD files which work not only with Windows Media 11, but also with Windows Movie Maker. Would this be the Sony software called Vegas? Surely, Microsoft has a better solution? (but I can't find it)

Collapse -
Sony Vegas can do that.
by whizkid454 / July 7, 2008 11:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sony Handycam AVCHD
by rfmcclure / July 9, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

Does using the Sony Docking Station and pushing the button for one-click DVD require the PC having a Blue Ray writer? Does Sony Vegas require a Blue Ray reader to get the AVCHD for subsequent use to write a DVD? Basically, when is Blue Ray required when using the AVCHD on the camera's Hard Disk? and when is Blue Ray required when using the AVCHD that has been imported to the PC (modd, moff, m2ts) ?
One of my concerns about Sony Vegas is the use of "DVD". Can I use Vegas if I have no Blue Ray equipment? (I like the wmv-hd files for now). A more basic question, for clarification, do you need special Blue Ray blank disks, when recording with a Blue Ray recorder?
(Thanks for your patience, you've been a great help.)

Collapse -
Some clarification..
by whizkid454 / July 9, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Handycam AVCHD
Does using the Sony Docking Station and pushing the button for one-click DVD require the PC having a Blue Ray writer? - I'm not quite sure. I don't use a docking station because I transfer the videos manually to my hard drive without using Sony's included software. That one puhs button must be used with Sony's software. If you look through the manual, it may tell you how that feature works on the HD cams.

Does Sony Vegas require a Blue Ray reader to get the AVCHD for subsequent use to write a DVD? - If I'm understanding correctly, Vegas doesn't require a BluRay reader to open AVCHD files or render WMV-HD files. The same source files can be used more than once. Or am I missing part of your question?

Basically, when is Blue Ray required when using the AVCHD on the camera's Hard Disk? - BluRay is required when you would like to put your HD videos onto a HD disc for playback on a BluRay player connected to a HDTV. A BluRay burner is NOT required to put AVCHD video onto a standard DVD disc. However to play back the AVCHD video, a BluRay player is required. So two routes: Burn to BluRay or burn to standard DVD.

and when is Blue Ray required when using the AVCHD that has been imported to the PC (modd, moff, m2ts) ? - Only when you would like to put that video onto a disc.

Can I use Vegas if I have no Blue Ray equipment? - Yes.

do you need special Blue Ray blank disks, when recording with a Blue Ray recorder? - No. But you have two choices, BD-R or BD-RE. BD-R is write-once media. BD-RE is rewritable.
Collapse -
don't mean to stick my nose in...
by boya84 / July 9, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Some clarification..

but one thing to know is that a single layer, non-BluRay DVD has a capacity to hold 4.7 gig worth of data. A double layer, non-BluRay DVD has a capacity to hold 8.5 gig worth of data.

BluRay blanks hold a LOT more (they start at 25 gig) and consequently, are more expensive
http://shop3.frys.com/search?cat=-59552&pType=pDisplay
This is because high definition video data can use a lot of space...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.