Samsung forum

General discussion

I have been sent 3 firmware update discs by Samsung to update my BD-UP5000. In each case, after loading, I receive a message saying that the disc won't load.

I have heard that Avatar has simply too much data for this player, and that there is no effective firmware update. When I call into the Samsung system, there is an option exclusively for Avatar, but it provides no assistance or acknowledgement of the underlying problem.

I don't know whether I am dealing with arrogance, ignorance,incompetence or simply an unwillingness to admit to a problem without a solution. (By the way, the unit has no USB input port, and my PC has no DVD burner capability. It was like pulling teeth to get the Samsung tech support to send me a DVD, and every one I received appeared to have a lot of scratches on the disc.)

My serial number and three separate service numbers resulting in non-working discs being sent are: SAMSUNG DVD BLU-RAY PLAYER (BD-UP5000) ? S/N 01986VSPD02265N

SAMSUNG SERVICE ORDER NUMBER (FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR AVATAR) - #4006917201 DATED 7-13-10; New Service Order Number (as of 8-1-2010) #4007019077
New Service Order Number (as of 8-9-2010) #4007081414

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avatar and bd-up5000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avatar and bd-up5000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: avatar and bd-up5000

rakwelch,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue playing Avatar. The unit is able to play it, but it does require the most recent firmware.

In this case, the firmware update was released in April, so I'm not sure why it's noted that there's not an effective firmware update. A DVD burner isn't required - a regular CD burner and blank disc will also work.

http://tinyurl.com/23cb939

--HDTech

Collapse -

In reply to: avatar and bd-up5000

Thanks - but again, I have received already three DVDs from Samsung each supposedly with the necessary firmware update, all since April 2010, but none will play on my unit. Also, in each case the tech person knew the issue was related to the Avatar HD disc. (My unit has been able to play the SD disc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.