General discussion

Avast updates causing blue screen

So I just finished building my desktop four days ago and I installed windows 7 and every other useful program. Avast was amongst them. The problem is every time I turn on my computer and my computer updates avast, 5 minutes later, I get a memory dump blue screen. Anyone know what's causing this and how I can fix it?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Avast updates causing blue screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Avast updates causing blue screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I forgot

I forgot to mention that my computer works fine only when in that 5 minute time frame, I do a shut down and reboot. After a clean reboot in that time frame, nothing happens, not even the blue screen.

- Collapse -
You also forgot to tell us what ...

the blue screen error message was. With a new build computer (especially a home built one) it is normally a driver problem causing a blue screen. Are you sure you installed all the necessary and proper drivers?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? What happens in Safe Mode.

What are some of these - "and every other useful program." For instance some "registry cleaner" installed and used might well have trashed your registry.

Just above the Submit button CNET has placed the following text in attention grabbing red -
f you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

- Collapse -
well

first off, I only installed the basic programs like msn, aim, pidgin. second I've updated every possible driver for my motherboard, video card, windows, etc. I have yet to try booting in safe mode since I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. If I remember correctly the blue screen gives me a memory dump and it says windows has encountered some problem.

- Collapse -
Send them your minidump file
- Collapse -
according to my list

from what I have installed, I have msn, pidgin, google chrome, firefox, iTunes, quicktime, microsoft office, java, and all the adobe programs

CNET Forums

Forum Info