Computer Help forum

General discussion

Avast download Error 1006

I have downloaded the free Avast. It is listed on my desktop as Setupeng. When I try to open it to extract it I get the following box:
Error 1006 (000003EE) has occurred. Last performed operation was opening the self extract archive.
I have deleted the temporary Internet files as suggested with no luck.
This is a new Dell Dimension C521 with Windows XP op system. I took McAfee off because it interfered too much with everything (programs, internet use, etc) I use Firefox as my browser and Thunderbird as my email account. I am only partially computer literate - any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast download Error 1006
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast download Error 1006
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try downloading it again or...

In reply to: Avast download Error 1006

Try Free AVG.

Bob

Collapse -
Avast download Error 1006

In reply to: Try downloading it again or...

Hi Bob,
I don't understand your message? Is it not all visible?

Collapse -
It was here.

I may have put part of my reply in the subject title.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: It was here.

Tried it again today and it worked!! Still a mystery but solved.

Collapse -
Update download corrupted

In reply to: Try downloading it again or...

i tried several times to download avast update but while installing it, my system shows error 1006 message. i am running windows xp service pack 2.0, my RAM is 1GB and Hdd is 160GB. my antivirus programe is Avast Home 4.8.

Collapse -
Tried The Manual Updater?

In reply to: Update download corrupted

Collapse -
Avast download error 1006

I have the same problem and message trying to download avast4. I have Windows 98SE as my operating system, and am assured that avast4 is compatible with it. Unfortunately, I am still on dial-up with a new external modem connected through a USB port, so I thought that this was causing the problem. Does anyone have a solution for me to try please? I try to connect with setupeng, but this only goes so far before the message appears. I delete the temporary internet files as suggested, then try again - with no success. Thanks to anyone who can help as this is driving me to distraction!!

Collapse -
The MANUAL UPDATER is at this link.

In reply to: Avast download error 1006

Collapse -
Error 1006

In reply to: The MANUAL UPDATER is at this link.

Thanks for this information, I will try this and hope that it works - can't afford to lose any more hair!!

Collapse -
still problems

I have been trying for 2 days now to download avast 5.0 and everytime it downloads and I try to install it gives me that error. Is there anything to fix it or do I just need to keep downloading it and praying it works.

LJ

Collapse -
Tried Downloading From Here?

In reply to: still problems

Collapse -
yup

In reply to: Tried Downloading From Here?

thanks that helps

Collapse -
Same Problem, No Solution!

In reply to: yup

I'm getting the same errors on both of my computers running different OS's. My desktop is running windows 7 pro, and my laptop is vista home. Nothing I've tried works. I have done everything listed here, even tried other anti virus' and it always ends up with an error! ***?! HELP please!

thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!