Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avast detected a virus on Yahoo's homepage?

by Big Steve / June 22, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

After having my computer off for several hours due to bad weather here and now that the bad weather has passed I decided to power up the computer again. As soon as I came to my default homepage setting which is YAHOO my Avast 4.8 detected a virus on Yahoo so as I was prompted I quickly aborted my connection and moved the virus to Avast's virus chest.

Just to check to see if what happened was a false positive or not I went to Yahoo again and up popped the Avast virus warning again so I repeated the whole process again. I've never experienced anything like this with Yahoo until tonight. Anyone else out there who has Avast 4.8 on their computer experienced the same thing tonight if you happened to go to Yahoo.com?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast detected a virus on Yahoo's homepage?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast detected a virus on Yahoo's homepage?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Is a False Positive
by Big Steve / June 22, 2008 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Is a False Positive

It seems that Avast fixed whatever was wrong with Yahoo yesterday so is now a good time to go ahead and delete or remove all those entries stored in Avast's chest everytime I went to Yahoo yesterday and received that warning from Avast? Is it OK to do that now?

Collapse -
(NT) Sure.
by Kees Bakker / June 22, 2008 8:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Sure.
by Big Steve / June 23, 2008 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

Thanks. Did Avast let anyone know what was causing that problem with Yahoo yesterday?

Collapse -
Avast/virus
by calneva / June 23, 2008 8:21 AM PDT

I too. logged on to Yahoo and Avast warned me that I had a virus. However, unlike you, I couldn't move it...it kept saying it was being used by another program. I tried everything, to no avail. Finally just restored to the 22nd and it seems to be doing ok...no messages from Avast.

Collapse -
Re: Avast/virus
by Big Steve / June 23, 2008 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast/virus

When it happened to me I was prompted by Avast to abort the connection which I did then I was prompted again by Avast to send the virus to the chest which I also did. I deleted my entries from Avast's chest earlier today. I've been back at Yahoo several times today and everything seems to be working just fine.

Collapse -
Re: Avast/virus
by jjpestello / June 23, 2008 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Avast/virus

Exact same thing happened to me. No problems today with Yahoo.

Collapse -
same experiance
by hanison / June 23, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

I had the same problem today avast is doing its job

Collapse -
Re: same experiance
by Big Steve / June 23, 2008 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: same experiance

Did you encounter problems with Avast on Yahoo today? My problems occured yesterday.

Collapse -
Avast detected a virus on Yahoo's home page?
by terrysandefur / June 23, 2008 11:21 AM PDT

I have a few different AV products running and they will not let the content on the right 1/3 of my page thru. Something in the advert. is not Kosher.

Collapse -
Not Kosher + Big no-no
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 23, 2008 12:14 PM PDT

If I understand this correctly, you have MORE than ONE AntiVirus
Product running.
THIS IS A HUGE NO-NO, you NEED to Uninstall
ALL of them and Install ONLY the ONE you want to use.
This should be thr first thing everyone learns about AV programs.

(I have a few different AV products running and they will not let the content on the right 1/3 of my page thru. Something in the advert. is not Kosher)

Collapse -
Re: Not Kosher + Big no-no
by Big Steve / June 23, 2008 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Kosher + Big no-no

Did the poster state he or she has a few difference AV products running at the same time? That is a big no-no. The poster should have only one A/V.

Collapse -
Close enough
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 23, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

I'm only going by what they said.
The key words " running at the same time" don't even really cut it,
as they can't even be installed on the same machine.

It is entirely possible they are calling some sort of,
adware or similar program an AV product. too.

Collapse -
Re: Close enough
by Big Steve / June 23, 2008 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Close enough

DADSGETNDOWN:

I was just agreeing with you, geeeze Louise.

Collapse -
Lol.
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 23, 2008 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Close enough

Hey hey Lucy.
Don't get defensive.
I was just commenting to make it clear incase the poster or anyone
else might have misunderstood, and to clarify any mis-representations.

I felt you were backing me up :D.
By the way,
I use that "Geez Louise" ALOT, does that give a way age ?

Collapse -
Re: Lol.
by Big Steve / June 23, 2008 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Lol.

Yep it does but who cares huh. I've been out of high school for quite a few years.

Later

Collapse -
I HATE AVG!
by adkiller2k7 / September 1, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Lol.

I do NOT like AVG at all, that's why I use avast! 4.8 home, the first time i tried AVG it let a horrible virus into my system forcing me to reinstall windows and EVERYTHING! the second time I tried AVG, my system was messing up like crazy, so I reinstalled avast and luckily Avast caught the stupid virus that AVG missed and saved my computer's life... Also I have tested Avast! Pro, Nope, avast pro is just as good as avast home, avast pro just has a few extra features and is a bit lighter on memory, if anybody complains about avast home hogging memory, upgrade to pro and it goes down to 4 mb minimum memory usage.

Collapse -
USE AVG 8.0
by hex_614 / June 23, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

Use AVG 8.0 instead, because Avast is very intrusive. and have lots of false positive, that why they dont have VB 100% with AVAST 4.8 Home Edition.

Im using AVG 8.0 Free and Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster together with windows firewall only. and i was never infected since then. there are some attempt to infect my pc but all of them was unsuccesful. the last was was when i click on a link redirecting me a xp anti virus 2008 download which is a virus, it auto download to me, but as fast as it download it has been caught by AVG resident shield.

Collapse -
Re: USE AVG 8.0
by Big Steve / June 24, 2008 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: USE AVG 8.0

I had AVG 7.5 A/V and AVG's A/S previously but when AVG's 8.0 first came out there were many on this board who didn't like the new 8.0 version and many of them switched to Avast 4.8 so I decided to follow the group.

Collapse -
AVG 8.0 is better
by hex_614 / June 24, 2008 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: USE AVG 8.0

im not that expert to tell you what anti virus program to use. it also depends on your pc,

but AVG 8.0 is a lot better compare to avast 4.8, avast did not pass the VB100% with this product. As for AVG 8.0 it did pass VB100% for all operating systems detected, ICSA Labs, WestCoast Lab Checkmark Level 1, Level 2 and Trojan certifications, recommended by CNET and PC pro. Avast 4.8 has a lot of false positive because the software like kaspersky is very intrusive. Also in AV comparatives last February AVG 8.0 scored higher than Avast.

Avast is still a great anti virus, but for me after several testings, i chose AVG 8.0, actually i tested 4 different anti virus software that is free on the market today. includes AVG 8.0 Free, Avast 4.8 home Edition Free, PC Tools 4.0 Free Anti Virus and Avira AntiVir Personal Free Edition.

here is what i experience on different testing of the products.

Avast 4.8 - Its Very intrusive but high detection rate, i installed it in one of the pc in the office, Avast 4.8 destroyed the database of our Accounting & Inventory Management System, by way of scanning every details that goes in and out of the system. which causes write delay on the database of our system. but if you use avast at home with no other network aside from the internet, it has a good protection, lighter that AVG on system resources. its only problem is very intrusive which causes false positive.

Avira AntiVir - High detection rates, highest actually according to lates AV comparatives, it did pass VB100% this year. but doesnt have anti spyware included in the scanning engine. upates are in big bytes and very slow. sometimes its hard to update. but for me vey good in protecting your pc. No email scanner by the way.

PC Tools - Fast updates, fast scanning, this is very light on system resources at around 4-10mb intelli guard (real time monitor). but dont have anti spyware included, no anti rootkit, and no certification on certain testing like VB100%, ICSA, WestCoast Lab and i dont see PC tool in the AV comparatives latest reviews. So it up to you to test this products. but i used this anti virus in one pc in the office, its been running for 1 month, and up to now no virus infected that pc. but you need to team this with anti spyware program like spybot S&D or windows defender.

AVG - best of all for me, fast updates, nice forums. and support from AVG but Avast has the best support to its user even if your using free edition. Nice interface, for me the best GUI, high detection rates with no false positve, certified by all major certification.

Cons of AVG - no anti rootkit for free edition, and it not light on system resources, it uses 50+mb (for resident shield "real time monitor) so if you want to use AVG you should have at lest 512mb of ram or higher. avast real time monitor only uses 16-28mb, PC Tools 4-10mb, Avira 10-18mb.

i hope you read my notes here. it can help you select which anti virus to use.

Collapse -
av-comparatives
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 25, 2008 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG 8.0 is better

Decide for yourselves,
www.av-comparatives.org
has 2 different test results to see.
They did not use AVG 8.0 or AVAST! 4.8.
as for AVAST! they tested with PRO, not home, and CNET and others
say HOME is as good or better.
Look closely at the results.
Here at CNETS Download, go the the product page read the Editor
reviews AND All the user reviews, keeping in mind which version
you are looking at and they are talking about.
I'm a fan of both AVG and AVAST!, but take everything into
consideration. From who uses the PC, resources, Free features,
what you get if you upgrade, Cost etc.

Collapse -
Regarding AV-comparatives
by Tarq57 / June 25, 2008 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: av-comparatives

It's potentially like comparing apples with oranges, because they test the pro versions of an AV, not the free versions.
Where Avast potentially wins in this regard is that the scanning engine of the Home version is exactly the same as in the Pro. Most other freebies that have a pro version usually have some crippling or reduced ability in the scanner.

Collapse -
Re: Regarding AV-comparatives
by Big Steve / June 25, 2008 10:33 PM PDT

Y'all can debate all the technicalities all you want, the only reason I went with Avast 4.8 was that so many on this board recommended it including some of the big guys on this board. No more problems with Yahoo thanks and everything seems to be working fine I think.

Now that you mention it while we're on the subject of Avast 4.8 when I run a thorough scan there are some files that it says at the end of the scan that it was unable to scan. I'll have to get back with you on that later because I'm about to head out the door to a doctor's appointment.

Collapse -
AV Choice
by hex_614 / June 25, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

Choosing the right anti virus for your pc is very easy. just test which one best suites your pc needs.

AVast 4.8 is a great anti virus also AVg 8.0, so as AVira and Pc Tools.

Its up to you to choose what best for your pc. just consider the system requirement, how you use your pc, like if your always online, do online banking, into online games and chats and etc...

Collapse -
Re: AV Choice
by Big Steve / June 25, 2008 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: AV Choice

Like I said earlier unless CNET comes out and says to dump Avast 4.8 I'm staying with it for now. I did like AVG's free 7.5 but when AVG's free A/V 8.0 came out I read many complaints on this board about it so I decided to stay away from AVG's A/V 8.0 and went with Avast 4.8. Now if I had to pay for the protection I probably would have gone with Panda Platinum Internet Security 2008 instead since I previously had Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006 and 2007.

Collapse -
Individual file scan
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 26, 2008 1:43 PM PDT

If you want to scan individual files try these 2.
Trendmicros housecall, http://housecall.trendmicro.com
You get to a point where you can tell it to scann Whole PC or just
choose files and or folders.

Virustotal is one of PC Worlds best products of 2007.
More than 30 of the popular AV products participate.
It scans using all of them and gives global results and statistics,
but I think you can only scan up 5MB per file.

www.virustotal.com

Collapse -
i hate AVG
by adkiller2k7 / September 1, 2008 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: USE AVG 8.0

I do NOT like AVG at all, that's why I use avast! 4.8 home, the first time i tried AVG it let a horrible virus into my system forcing me to reinstall windows and EVERYTHING! the second time I tried AVG, my system was messing up like crazy, so I reinstalled avast and luckily Avast caught the stupid virus that AVG missed and saved my computer's life... Also I have tested Avast! Pro, avast pro is just as good as avast home, avast pro just has a few extra features and is a bit lighter on memory, if anybody complains about avast home eating memory, upgrade to pro and it goes down to 4 mb minimum memory usage

Collapse -
Avast vs AVG
by travis41 / June 26, 2008 7:58 AM PDT

I experienced similar problems also, with Avast,Norton,and Spybot in the spyware category. I now use AVG,WINDOWS Defender & SPYWARE DR. exclusively, [no problems for a month now] GOOD LUCK. EIGHTBALL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!