General discussion

Avast AV detected this, what is it?

I ran a scan with Avast and it detected the following which I sent to the chest or quarantine, what is it and how should I get rid of it? Simply delete it?

Virus has been detected!
File Name: 1fb73afb-3745b875
FileID: 6
Virus Description: Java:Agent-F [Trj]

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Avast AV detected this, what is it?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Avast AV detected this, what is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Avast AV detected this, what is it?

Moderator Carol? Anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it?

- Collapse -
Not using Avast BUT..

Hi Steve..

What is it? I can't tell you for sure. When I tried to find "exactly" what it was earlier in the day, I didn't find much. All I found in regards to Avast and "Java:Agent-F", was that it was added to Avast's definitions yesterday. Did Avast indicate where it was located?

If it were me, and my A/V detected it, the first thing I would have done was clear Java's cache. It's what I would suggest you do. There's NO harm in doing it.

Go to the Control Panel, and double-click on the Java Icon. On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the "Settings" button. Leave the "Applications and Applets" and "Trace and Log Files" boxes checked, and then Click OK.

If you have CCleaner installed, you might want to run it for "good measure".

"Moderator Carol" Happy

- Collapse -
Re: Not using Avast BUT ..

When I go to Control Panel then click on Add or Remove Programs up pops a list of the items on my computer which is a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop which has an OS of Windows Vista Premium, all I see is a list, no icons, I see Java, I click on it and I can click on a link for Java support or I can click to remove it from my computer. I do not see any of the tabs you mentioned. I do not have CCleaner installed on both of my computers.

I have Avast AV, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and something else called A-Squared Free which someone here recommended that I add to take care of another problem which is still going on, I'm still being redirected at times to a webpage labeled MYBROWSERBAR.COM and McAfee's Site Advisor classifies that website as a caution website, McAfee's balloon at the top of the webpage on MYBROWSERBAR.COM is yellow. I cannot get rid of that thing. Thank you for your post.

- Collapse -
Re: Not using Avast BUT ...

Carol, are you there?

- Collapse -
Re Re: Not using Avast BUT ..

Big Steve, You don't click on the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, you would click on the Java icon in the Control Panel and follow Carol's instructions.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
(NT) Many Thanks!
- Collapse -
As far as your second issue is concerned...

Steve..

I see Tufenuf was kind "enuf" to point you to the proper location of Java's Control Panel. It shouldn't be difficult, if you follow the directions.

I remember you going over the "mybrowserbar" issue with Donna. If she wasn't able to help, I doubt I will be able to. I would have looked in the same direction as she did, when she asked about "toolbars". I also would have suggested the same tools.

Did you install the PDFCreator? It's known to install a toolbar, which will create the sort of re-directs you mentioned. If you happen to have it installed, I would suggest uninstalling.

If it doesn't help, and you're really concerned, why not post a HJT log at one the forums which analyzes them? They may be able to better see, where the re-directs are (initially) coming from.

Just as an "FYI". I probably won't be around tomorrow. On top of that.. I've been having problems "staying connected" as of late. It's quite frustrating, to say the very least! Angry / Sad

Carol

- Collapse -
Re: As far as your second issue is concerned...

Sorry you're having trouble with your internet connection, I'll try to check in with you later.

CNET Forums