Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avast A/V version 8.0.138?

I was checking email again and I received an email claiming it was from CNET Downloads.com informing me of a newer free version of Avast A/V which came out yesterday, version 8.0.138. I currently have the free version 4.8. I then went directly to CNET Downloads to check, typed "Avast" into the search field on the downloads page and didn't see a version 8.0.138 so I didn't click on the email to download the supposedly newer free version of Avast. Was a newer version of Avast A/V released yesterday? A version 8.0.138?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast A/V version 8.0.138?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast A/V version 8.0.138?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure you're not confusing Avast with AVG?

In reply to: Avast A/V version 8.0.138?

Steve..

"Was a newer version of Avast A/V released yesterday? A version 8.0.138"

Are you sure you're not confusing Avast with AVG? As far as I know, AVG's current version is 8.0.138.

http://www.grisoft.com/us.94201

Carol

Collapse -
Re: Are you sure you're not confusing Avast with AVG?

In reply to: Are you sure you're not confusing Avast with AVG?

I stand corrected, please do accept my apologies you hear.

Collapse -
(NT) NO problem. It happens to the best of us. :)

In reply to: Re: Are you sure you're not confusing Avast with AVG?

Collapse -
Re: (NT) NO problem. It happens to the best of us. :)

In reply to: NO problem. It happens to the best of us. :)

Well I try not to make those kind of mistakes. I'll pay closer attention next time. While I'm on the subject of Avast 4.8 when I scan almost everytime the results will indicate that the program was unable to scan the following items and the list usually ranges from 100 to 130 items. What kind of information would I need to post to get some assistance?

When I scan I would hope that Avast 4.8 would scan everything. Also every morning when I check Avast for updates it performs some kind of a memory test which takes several minutes and once that test is complete I can check for updates. I can choose to stop the memory test then check for updates or I can let it perform it's memory test. What exactly is Avast 4.8 doing when it says it's performing a memory test?

Collapse -
Memory Test and Unscannable Files

In reply to: Re: (NT) NO problem. It happens to the best of us. :)

Steve..

I don't use Avast, but according to what was suggested to someone who asked the same question about the memory test, a moderator wrote the following:

'During startup applications are loaded into memory and the default option is for avast to scan them and I would suggest you leave it as it is. See image, extract from avast help file, Settings, Common page.'

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35372.msg297402#msg297402

As far as the unscannable items, have a look at the below threads at the Avast forum. See if that's what you were referring to. I believe it might be. It also explains why the files are unable to be scanned.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36167.msg303483#msg303483

Also read this thread titled, "100 results- "unable to scan file"
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29253.0

Hopefully, some of it MAY answer your questions. If not, I'll see if I can find some additional information. In the meantime, I'm sure there are Avast user's who might be of more help.

Carol

PS I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to post. If for some reason, you need a reply and I can't get back to you, that will be why. I guess the forum's are suffering from heat stroke!

Collapse -
Re: Memory Test and Unscannable Files

In reply to: Memory Test and Unscannable Files

So you say the CNET servers are becoming overheated? LOL.

Collapse -
(NT) LOL YOU said that. Not ME. :D

In reply to: Re: Memory Test and Unscannable Files

Collapse -
(NT) LOL YOU said that. NOT ME. :D

In reply to: LOL YOU said that. Not ME. :D

I was checking your profile, you have a Dell Dimension 4600 which appears to be loaded down with tons of security software for hunting season. Is all of that software on your computer now or is that a list of all of the security software you have tried in the past up to the present?

All I have on my Dell Dimension 3100 is Avast 4.8 A/V, SuperAntiSpyware free edition and COMODO BOClean 4.26. The firewall in Windows is also enabled. If you do have all of that security software up and running on your Dell 4600 as Dr. Phil would say, why????

Collapse -
Sorry Steve. Didn't see there was a body to your message :(

In reply to: (NT) LOL YOU said that. NOT ME. :D

No doubt Dr. Phil would have A LOT to say about "someone" who hasn't gone to her profile in ages. Thus... not updating it either. You are correct. Some of what's on the list is old. For example, Ewido (free) has since changed to AVG A/S (free) and now AVG A/S is about to "go". RR Pro was given to me for winning a contest at Malwarebytes. I only used it as a scanner. My habits haven't changed much, though. I still have quite a few I use only for scanning purposes. "Why???"... as Dr. Phil would ask? Because I can ... as I would say. Grin

I have different types of scanners. As long as they don't take up too much real estate, I keep them "tucked away".. just in case. That's the story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

I hope that answers your question..
Carol

Collapse -
Re: Sorry Steve. Didn't see a body to your message:(

In reply to: Sorry Steve. Didn't see there was a body to your message :(

That answers my question. BTW did you get a slice of lemon ice box pie?

Collapse -
(NT) AAMOF.. I did! It was "over the top"! Thanks 4 asking :)

In reply to: Re: Sorry Steve. Didn't see a body to your message:(

Collapse -
(NT) AAMOF.. I did! It was "over the top"! Thanks 4 asking

In reply to: AAMOF.. I did! It was "over the top"! Thanks 4 asking :)

I hope you had a hot cup of Gevalia Colombian roast with it, mighty good java. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Collapse -
Curious.

In reply to: Re: (NT) NO problem. It happens to the best of us. :)

>Also every morning when I check Avast for updates it performs some kind of a memory test which takes several minutes and once that test is complete I can check for updates. I can choose to stop the memory test then check for updates or I can let it perform it's memory test.<

I use Avast.
I don't see such a thing.....no mem test.
Give a step by step of how your checking for updates.

Collapse -
Re: Curious.

In reply to: Curious.

Well let's see here, the first thing that I do is to right click on the Avast A/V icon located on my desktop which will immediately open up Avast, then a dialogue box appears with a message informing me that Avast is performing a memory test, this can take a few minutes, please wait so I wait.

As soon as the memory test has been completed the next thing that appears on my monitor's screen is the Avast control panel skin which I selected a few months back when I installed Avast on my computer for the first time. I then click on the green ball to check for updates and walla, I receive my updates. It's as simple as eating a slice of lemon ice box pie.

Collapse -
Ahh!! I think I see.

In reply to: Re: Curious.

Your opening the on-demand scanner....the prog.

Do you have a little blue ball in sys tray?
If so....right click it.
That should bring up a menu that has updating.
Select AV defs or prog updates...hit GO.

Collapse -
Re: Ahh! I think I see.

In reply to: Ahh!! I think I see.

Do you see the light? I have two blue spheres, one with an "f" on it and another one with an "a" on it located in my systray(?), the sphere with the "a" on it spins at times while the other one does not but I also have an icon on the desktop and I go straight to the icon to open up Avast. How was your lemon ice box pie?

Collapse -
Light?...nope I grope in the dark.

In reply to: Re: Ahh! I think I see.

Right click the ball with the "a".
That will get you to a menu where you can do the updates and bypass the memory test.

Don't much care for pie....genetic flaw.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.