Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVAST A/V, good replacement for AVG?

Anyone on this board happen to use an A/V program called AVAST and is it any good, user friendly for a non-Geek like me? I have been using AVG's free A/V and their A/S for about 2 years but might be making a change soon. Someone posted in another thread I started after I received an email this morning informing me that AVG had introduced a new version of their A/V, version 8.0 and to download it. Naturally I came here first to ask questions about it.

Someone suggested I might want to make a change to something else later on rather than download the new AVG free A/V 8.0 and that I should take a look at AVAST for future A/V protection and to switch to Super Antispyware for future A/S protection. I learned today that AVG will soon stop providing updates for both of the free products I currently have on my computer and that I would need to switch to the new AVG A/V 8.0. Anyone use either AVAST or Super Antispyware on their computers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVAST A/V, good replacement for AVG?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVAST A/V, good replacement for AVG?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, Avast is good ...

In reply to: AVAST A/V, good replacement for AVG?

and many prefer it to AVG.

It uses a few less resources than AVG and offers a few more protections than AVG.

Since it too offers a free for home use version why not download it and give it a try?

One more nice thing about Avast is that it updates definitions a lot more often than AVG and is less problem prone when doing so.

Collapse -
Re: Yes, Avast is good ...

In reply to: Yes, Avast is good ...

Well what's your opinion on another security software program, Super Anti-Spyware? Is Super Anti-Spyware a good program to consider as a possible replacement for my current free version of AVG A/S?

Collapse -
Seems like a well rated product

In reply to: Re: Yes, Avast is good ...

There are two versions....paid/free.

Compare the two here.....see which fits.
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

I use the free version.
It runs and does not give me any grief.
It's scan is quite slow...perhaps that's good...thorough??
There does not seem to be anything on this machine that gets it upset.
So what it does when it finds something is unknown to me.

Collapse -
I like both programs.

In reply to: Seems like a well rated product

I use both Avast and Superantispyware and love them both. I used to use AVG but it quarantined good files too often for me. I also changed to Superantispyware after Adaware changed their program. I recommend both.

Denny

Collapse -
Both Are Okay

I've used Avast and Super Anti-Spyware. Both are okay.
I always felt that AVG AV 7.5 was more user-friendly than AVAST. Avast kept trying to download auto-updates while I was busy online, so it tended to slow things a bit. I did not keep it long enough to figure out if auto-updates can be disabled so I could do them manually.

I do prefer Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware over Super Anti-Spyware, though.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Both Are Okay

you can disable the auto update feature. I use Avast! and I like it.
Seems to do the job it is expected to do. Happy
Liz

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. Liz :)

In reply to: Yes

Collapse -
AVAST has been very good to me

I find Avast slighter more cleaner or leaner and not as bloated as others. Its works well and rarely had a problem because of it. It updates quite regularly and appears to do the job that's its suppose to.

enjoy -----Willy

Collapse -
Re: AVAST has been very good to me

In reply to: AVAST has been very good to me

Willy:

What would you recommend for A/S protection? Stay with AVG or switch to something else? Would you also recommend that I stay with COMODO BOClean 4.26 for malware protection? COMODO BOClean 4.26 is not A/S protection, correct? Thank you for the post.

Collapse -
Along with Avast ...

In reply to: Re: AVAST has been very good to me

Collapse -
Re: Along with Avast ...

In reply to: Along with Avast ...

So along with Avast A/V you recommend using Spyware Terminator and can I use COMODO BOClean 4.26 with both of those? Do you recommend Spyware Terminator over Super Antispyware or is it Super Spyware? Is Spyware Terminator a "free" product or do you have to purchase it like Norton or Panda? Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Yes and

In reply to: Re: Along with Avast ...

You can also use SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html right alongside SpywareTerminator (and yes, it is freeware) http://www.spywareterminator.com/ (although I don't).

As far as I know BOClean can be used too if desired without conflicts.

Because of the number of "rogue" anti-malware products that play on legitimate application names I do strongly advise that you only download the application from the publisher and not some third party download site that links to it.

Collapse -
Re: Yes and

In reply to: Yes and

Can the items you have mentioned be downloaded from CNET Downloads which is where I got started using AVG's free A/V and A/S a year ago or do you recommend I go directly to those links which you provided in your last post to download that security software?

So in summary can I have the following:

Avast for A/V protection to replace my free AVG A/V 7.5?
Spyware Terminator to replace my free AVG A/S?
Or
Superantispyware to replace my free AVG A/S?

I can continue to use COMODO BOClean 4.26 for malware protection?

Can you have more than one spyware program installed and running on a computer or should I limit my A/S to only one A/S program like running only one A/V program on a computer? Thank you for your post.

Collapse -
Multiple programs

In reply to: Re: Yes and

Most AV's have fairly good detections for malware generally these days. In Avast's case, that includes an anti-rootkit module.
I'd be inclined more to just having the AV, and maybe Boclean running resident, and have Superantispyware for demand scans, although it is considered exceptionally good value if you choose the full version (trial available, of course), for a one-time lifetime license. It is also considered extremely good at removal; another reason to have it. A lot of malware installs in locations that the AV sometimes misses. (How often do you read posts about a trojan that the AV detected, supposedly quarantined, but then kept coming back?)
In general terms, only one of each type of application should run resident, in case of conflicts if/when malware is found.
Boclean version 4.28 has recently been released. You may want to check it out. Boclean works only on threats that try to run in the memory ie: when they attempt to execute, rather than "traditional" scanners that try to catch them as they download or install.
I'd also recommend a two way firewall, if you're happy to learn to interpret popups, and with the same proviso, consider the big wide world of behaviour blockers/HIPS applications. These are growing in popularity, and with good reason. SpywareTerminator has a behaviour blocker (optional). I've stopped using it - seen a few too many problems reported, but it has recently released a new version which might be OK. Threatfire is a pretty darned good behaviour blocker with minimal popups, if you prefer less interaction.
Cnet isn't a bad place to download stuff from, but I definitely endorse downloading direct from the vendor.

Collapse -
Steve has the latest version of BOClean

In reply to: Multiple programs

Collapse -
Re: Multiple programs

In reply to: Multiple programs

A firewall with a 2 way program? What exactly is that? I'm currently using the firewall which came with the computer in Windows. Is that firewall alright to continue using? I read where you and others have recommended downloading these products direct from their vendor's sites, have you got the correct link to use to download Avast A/V? I have COMODO BOClean 4.26 already on my machine, I was reading the comparisons between Superantispyware the free version and Superantispyware Pro the paid version for $29.95, the pro version offers so much more but is it worth $29.95 extra and is that an annual fee if you know? Thank you for your post.

Collapse -
Steve, the Windows Firewall is

In reply to: Re: Multiple programs

a one way firewall. It only blocks incoming instead of outgoing. It is what I use but I am careful where I go. A 2 way firewall is better but the choice is yours. I believe the SUPERAntiSpyware Pro version's license is lifetime.

This vendor link for avast has the download.com link also in the middle of the page so if they are recommending to use that one, then I would use it.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Collapse -
Re: Steve, the Windows Firewall is

In reply to: Steve, the Windows Firewall is

Well if the firewall in Windows isn't good enough can you recommend a better one? I was reading another thread here about users switching from AVG to Avast, some who switched don't feel as comfortable with Avast as they did previously with AVG which I have and have liked. AVG 7.5.524 will soon no longer be supported or receive updates by AVG so you have the option of switching to AVG 8.0 or something else. What was the reason many didn't want to switch to AVG 8.0? Was it something to do about privacy matters? I couldn't find the post that someone gave a good reason for not liking AVG's version 8.0. Thank you for your post.

Collapse -
Steve, you have asked and

In reply to: Re: Steve, the Windows Firewall is

been answered about all these questions already. Just start reading your old threads again.

Firewall recopmmendations are in the sticky at the top of the forum. If you ask for "Opinion's", that is what you are going to get. Diffrent programs work differently for different people. ALL the programs recommened for firewall, antivirus, antispyware and everything else listed on that thread are good or they would not better there. There is NO BEST program for any of those. You need to find out what is best for YOU and only YOU can determine that.

Collapse -
Re: Steve, you have asked and

In reply to: Steve, you have asked and

Got it.

Collapse -
These have worked

In reply to: Re: AVAST has been very good to me

Once, I found some s/w that's useful and practically easy to deal with, I rarely wander from it. I do test other s/w, but no where on a constant basis, thus can't comment on those you mentioned. As I found Avast more than capable. I do use SpyBlaster and SpySweeper amongest those that remain on the system. AND very important, I use Firefox rather than IE7 to do the browsing. It all just works for me. So far, so good. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: These have worked

In reply to: These have worked

Thank you for your post.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.