AVAST

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer
Inspirion 545s 00
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB Memory
750GB Hard Drive
Wireless N Networking

I just downloaded Avast and got a popup box saying the following:

"avast! has detected a secure connection from your mail program (process wlmail.exe) to the POP server 74.125.47.109 (gmail.com).

This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses. Please disable SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail. The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself."

How do I disable the SSL/TLS in my Windows Live email program?

Thank you

Julea

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AVAST
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AVAST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi Julea, I had this problem
- Collapse -
Hum -- guess I didn't need to ask question afterall ? ?

I'm confused -- the initial message I got, I only got it one time.

In checking out your link, my AVAST has my email accounts listed as shown in diagram. When going to change the settings in my email client, if I do it will not let me send or receive email from gmail. I have to use the settings for gmail itself, which is what it was set to originally.

Maybe it took care of it all automatically -- I don't know. I really wonder if my email is being scanned. If it is great; if not, I guess I can't scan it because I can't change those numbers to the 110, etc. as it will not let me send/receive.

So, I'll leave well enough alone and hope messages are scanned. This kinda concerns me, but I do want to be able to send and receive emails and have gmail come through Windows Live.

Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
There are a couple of ways to check

if the e-mail is being scanned.

1. The avast ball in the taskbar turns while the e-mail is coming in.
2. Go to "real tikme shields">>>"Mail shield". At the botton on that page is a log you can click on.

Not all mail servers you the secure SSL port. I use 2 servers, my ISP e-mail still uses 110 but my main one uses port 465, an SSL secure port so the settings may be differen t on yours also for different accounts.

- Collapse -
(NT) Sorry for the typos, Not awake yet :)
- Collapse -
Forgot to ask you --

I've not been to the forum for a long while. Are we no longer getting email notification of a reply to a post? I didn't get one, but did come back and used the "My Tracked Discussions" button to find this.

Julea

- Collapse -
I got it

I just now received the email message notification from Delphi - it's 1:14 a.m. so there is quite a delay in comparison to what it used to be. No problem, just was curious and now I know (LOL).

Julea

- Collapse -
They are aware of the delay

in the tracking notices and it is on the list if things to be fixed.

- Collapse -
Yeah -- I can finally post (LOL).

Hi Roddy -- I've been trying to post back to say thank you for your help on this. Also, I wanted to let you know that my AVAST icon is spinning very nicely when there incoming mail. So, guess it boils down to the fact that AVAST has made that automatic because I sure didn't make any changes (LOL).

Thanks again.

- Collapse -
(NT) Glad to hear it, You're welcome :)

CNET Forums

Forum Info