Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Avant Browser similar to IE?

by darkdestiny7 / August 15, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

I understand that Avant Browser is much better than IE. But will one be able to visit IE-only sites with it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avant Browser similar to IE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avant Browser similar to IE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Avant Browser is an IE shell
by Me, Myself and You / August 16, 2007 6:19 AM PDT

with a few more buttons and "features" thrown in.

Its the same as Maxthon, Ace Explorer or Advanced Browser.

Collapse -
Ok, I get it
by darkdestiny7 / August 27, 2007 4:04 PM PDT

I installed it like a couple of weeks ago, and it appears very good. It looks as though one can "cap" the browser right on top of IE and use it. And what's more, it probably is a solution to my long-time IE problem (that is, I wish I could stop using IE, but a site that I frequently visited for my school materials require IE). Thanks for the tip.

Collapse -
What problems?
by Me, Myself and You / August 28, 2007 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok, I get it

You are using IE.

Think of it as an engine. The same engine in ten different cars. Some cars may look nice, others may not, but its the same engine.

So what IE problems are you having? User Error? Or IE 7 disasters?

Collapse -
Problems? Not as such...
by darkdestiny7 / August 28, 2007 7:10 PM PDT
In reply to: What problems?

The "problem" is not to use IE in surfing the Internet, when understanding the threats that it can carry with its functions. I've been unable to leave IE6 alone because Microsoft Update and the site I mentioned earlier needed it, and Windows Live Messenger needs it to access my Hotmail.

At least Avant provides a bit of extra protection to my web surfing ways. I use Firefox too, and find it quite great at its current version.

Collapse -
by Me, Myself and You / August 28, 2007 7:57 PM PDT

Most of those "threats" and your "added protection" are all superficial.

Learn to use GPEDIT and configure IE properly, or get a Mac. It would probably suit your ignorance more.

Collapse -
I don't see any threats in that
by darkdestiny7 / August 28, 2007 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

I've already quite configured IE such that I won't go into sites not in the Trusted Sites list. And I don't add any more "protection".

Anyway, this topic is basically to find out a bit about the Avant Browser itself, and have no relation to my looking for better protection at all. That's all.

And thanks for your suggestion into learning to use the "gpedit.msc" service.

Collapse -
Okay.
by Me, Myself and You / August 28, 2007 8:12 PM PDT

Good on you. If you have done what I did and blocked the ActiveX and scripting functionality, along with file download and other exploitable services, of the internet zone, you are already on elevated security from the masses. It means adding any site you want to use, or log in to, in your trusted zone, but if its for security, so be it.

A good alternative browser to use is Opera, if you want to use one at all.

As for Avant, I never have used it. I used one once called "Advanced Browser" and "Ace Explorer" but not only did they/it seem a rip off of Avant (from what I read in reviews - I never did verify that myself) it's unecessary baggage one does not really <i>need</i>.

Happy

Collapse -
I liked Opera...
by darkdestiny7 / August 28, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay.

But I am not used to its interface. I'm pretty much comfortable sticking with Firefox and Avant myself, the former containing several enhancements to improve surfing.

Comment: By far, Netscape is the only other browser that I'd tried but did not like. My comp crashed more with Netscape, partly due to the unpatched holes of te browser (I think).

Collapse -
Netscape was once good.
by Me, Myself and You / August 28, 2007 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: I liked Opera...

...but it has had it's days. Let it die.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?