Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AV Security Suite infection, possibly?

by moderncowboy894 / September 5, 2010 5:17 PM PDT

Hey, y'all! So I'm not the most computer savvy and I have read through the basic rundown of getting rid of the AV Security Suite virus, and quite frankly it scares me. Now, I just developed it a couple of hours ago, and I'm noticing that nothing is really happening. I had the System Tool or Security Tool, whatever it is, on my other computer a few months ago, and I took it into Best Buy's Geeksquad because it had shut down my computer for the most part.

With this, however, the only evidence that I have is the false scan that it popped up once. I quickly 'x'ed it out and searched for online solutions, where I noticed some other symptoms that my computer doesn't have. The Proxy boxes are all clear under the LAN Connections, and I'm not getting any fake notices about my programs. I could open Task Manager, McAfee, and Windows Defender with no problem. Of course, neither of them found anything, but I've learned that not finding a virus doesn't mean it's not there. I can also navigate the internet freely, without any redirects.

So, I'm a bit afraid to turn off my computer, because I fear that may "awaken the beast", so to speak, and leave me without any other option except for paying Best Buy to fix this for me. I am curious if just 'x'ing out that first fake scan and running Windows Defender and McAfee may have fixed the problem. Is that possible? If not, and the AV Security Suite is just lurking in my computer, are there any alternative ways to removing it than installing that rkill and malwarescan program? I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop, if any of that matters. Thanks in advance for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AV Security Suite infection, possibly?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AV Security Suite infection, possibly?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If Windows Defender and McAfee found no infection...
by Donna Buenaventura / September 5, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

Hi,

You should try scanning Windows using below tools to get rid of that rogue program, AV Security Suite. If you fake scanner is displayed, it's there and it need to be removed.

The first two scanners require no installation to scan and remove any malware it can detect while the third need installation. Give any or all a try, until the problem is gone:

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner: http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

EmsiSoft MalAware: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/malaware/

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

You can also use ESET Online Scanner http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

Collapse -
Thanks for the links!!
by moderncowboy894 / September 6, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

Thank you so much for directing me towards those scans! I tried all of them, but the Malwarebytes seemed to be the only one to pick up anything. I do have a question, though. Is there a way to find out if it's gone, or should I just reboot my computer in the hopes that I've cleared it out and see what happens?

Collapse -
Good work!
by Donna Buenaventura / September 6, 2010 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the links!!

Glad to hear that you tried them to finally get rid of the rogue program.

Yes, just re-scan again using Malwarebytes (MBAM) after a reboot. If all has been taken care of, MBAM scan result should find your computer clean from malware and the fake scanner should no longer display.

Collapse -
You're a lifesaver!
by moderncowboy894 / September 6, 2010 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Good work!

Thank you so much for your help. My computer rebooted just fine with no mention of the AV Security Suite. I'm currently running the Malwarebytes, and I'm hoping it'll pick up anything left over, or nothing if there is nothing left. Thanks, again!

Collapse -
You're welcome. Nice to know AV Security Suite no longer...
by Donna Buenaventura / September 6, 2010 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: You're a lifesaver!

appear. Hope nothing for MBAM to clean again.

Always keep up-to-date and run a regular scan. It's free Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.