TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

AV Receivers

by Blindsider / February 14, 2008 6:06 AM PST

I'm getting ready to buy a new AV receiver- I'm in the $1000 price range and audio quality is of upmost importance to me. I recently bought (and am returning) Onkyo TX-SR605 and am not satisfied with the audio quality (I was using a 20 year old Nakamichi 2 channel receiver with Kef 103/3 speakers- I liked the sound from the Nak and Kefs much better than the Onkyo w/ the Kefs. I'm now considering either the Denon 2808 or the Onkyo TX-SR875; any thoughts or other reccomendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AV Receivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AV Receivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, the Onkyo TX-SR805 is a big step up over the value
by NM_Bill / February 14, 2008 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: AV Receivers

laden 605 model. Much more current available.

I have & continue to recommend Denon. C/NET rates them higher than Onkyo & mentions Denons' high reliability reputation.

For sure the old Nakamichi was a premium product. Seeing as how a few brands come to prominence or fade over time, I suggest you log onto Emotiva. They are putting out superior to mass market products & have them priced at a real value being as they sell direct. Good customer relations & transferable 3 year warranty.

While you are at it also visit another direct sold brand, Outlaw. Again, better than mass manufacturer products.

To top it off, also look at two old reliables. I refer to both Rotel & perhaps the slightly better NAD. Both again are better than mass maker stuff & with a reputation for near high end performance at very reasonable price & concentration on the basics done very well, in lieu of adding the latest gadgets.

Hey, Blindsider, that's a short list of six brands certainly worthy of a look see.I would highly recommend you do at least check them out online & in person when available.

Wishing you the next 20 years of fine audio enjoyment.

Collapse -
This is a stupid question...
by bevillan / March 27, 2008 12:48 AM PDT

I was looking at the Emotiva amps and they look pretty impressive at the price they are looking for.

Well I was looking at the XPA-5 amp (I only have 5.1 channels in my home theater) and noticed the power rating is 210 watts per channel (8 ohms). The speakers I would be using are not rated to handle 210 watts...so would I be doing any damage to my speakers if I hooked sub 210 watt rated speakers up to the XPA-5?

I don't know much about standalone amps, so sorry if the question seems elementary.

Collapse -
No need to obsess with power ratings. It is mostly sales
by NM_Bill / March 27, 2008 1:28 AM PDT

hype to apparently help sell speakers. Info on minimum required power is more important than maximum rated power handling capacity. True, I am not young but there is no chance I would ever twist that volume/power knob up to even half way in my home. Normal listening range is like only 10-20% of volume. Even when grooving out to favorite nostalgia tunes I only turn it briefly to halfway & assails my ear drums.

If my speakers can handle 100 watts, my amp has 200 watts per channel total, but I never set volume to more than halfway, I will always be relatively safe. Curious little kids in the household - that's another situation.

Enjoy your choice. Any of several possibilities would seem good in my book.

Collapse -
you'll be just fine
by jostenmeat / March 27, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

in fact, I personally believe you are less likely to blow speakers with too much power than too little (clipping).

when does the xpa-5 finally come out? they were held up by some other manufacturer's component they needed to build them I think? or are they already shipping?

Collapse -
they are out
by bevillan / March 27, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: you'll be just fine

It seems people are already starting to receive them in the mail and I haven't heard anything but extremely satisfied opinions about them. I haven't seen any indepth reviews yet though.

Collapse -
Bill's list is a good one
by jostenmeat / February 14, 2008 7:59 AM PST

for SQ (and bang for buck) Rotel, Nad, Outlaw are great as used. New is a bit pricey, past your budget. Outlaw should be coming out with their new stuff late this year.

The only problem with the above is that they dont have all the latest, greatest bells and whistles. Not all of them at least. This is where you have to make your own decision.

Yamaha has just released their new line. I think BB is excited about this, because Onkyo (CC) has been owning the receiver sales. MSRP $550 gives you preouts which can hook up to separate amp, if you DID need the latest decoders. We obviously cannot answer these questions for you without knowing what you want.

Otherwise, we wish you the best of luck

-jostenmeat

Collapse -
Bill's list
by Blindsider / February 15, 2008 6:22 AM PST

Thanks, guys, for the help. I'm still not sure what I want- I'm visually impaired (hence "Blindsider"- yes, I have a sense of humor) therefore audio is most important to me but my "sighted" wife and kids would enjoy the video side of things. I'm not all that interested in the "latest and greatest" video bells and whistles but don't want to discount them too much either. I am also an avid Sirius radio listener- I understand they and XM are merging soon so I suspect the HD sound being transmitted by XM will become available to Sirius subscribers (eventually) so that makes the Denon 2808 attractive to me. I'm going to check out the sites Bill recommended- Yamaha has always had a decent rep as well, I know I almost bought a Yamaha 20 years ago but opted for the Nakamichi, a choice I have not regretted!

Collapse -
a/v reciever
by michael robinson / March 26, 2008 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Bill's list

There are many decent recievers out there,but if you want true audiophile sound and future expandability I would go with seperates.I myself made a compromise and went with a pioneer elite vsx-92 acting as my preamp and a adcom 5300 amp.This allowed me have good 2 channel sound and have adaquite 5.1 also.If funds is the limiting factor I beleive the onyko 805 is hard to beat,I've seen them as low as $600.If you are really strapped for money the pioneer vsx-517 can be had for a little over $100 and will definitely do a decent job with music and 5.1 until you have the funds to get what you really want.To me music is one of the few things in life that I truely enjoy and I do not feel guilty spending a good portion of my monies on,you only live once!

Collapse -
Onkyo 805 owner
by Boss304 / March 26, 2008 3:49 PM PDT

I currently own the Onkyo 805. I was contemplating the 875 but the price kinda made me reconsider. The receiver is decent I have it hooked up to bose 301v bookshelves, bose vcs 10 center, Also some dual 12" MTX speakers, and today some polk monitor 70's are showin up to replace the MTX's. The receiver has that audyssey EQ and it works well for crisp clear sound, but seems to cut out the lows extremely. The only time I hear low notes is on a hi def disc. If I tweak the receiver settings it sounds alright on most things, but I still have a kenwood VR7070 receiver that on stereo would blow away the 7 channel sound feature on the onkyo while the audyssey EQ is on. Also I hear if you have a 1080i picture it tones it down to 720p if you care about that I really don't notice too much of a difference. I guess I just have a hard time tuning the receiver to meet dvd,hi def,cable,cd,satellite radio,xbox 360 the sound differences are very different. I guess I just need to find a setting I like cause I'm constantly changing it to sound better. Hopefully this helps you out.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Blindsider / March 26, 2008 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Onkyo 805 owner

I appreciate all the input- stilll not 100% sure what I want to do, I'm leaning toward's Bill's list and considering the AV receivers he suggested- I'd rather spend a bit more now... or in the near future than settle for something I'm not going to be happpy with. I'll let you all know what I finally go with and what my thoughts are on the product I finally choose. My Kef Reference series speakers are also 20 years old so I may just completely blow the budget and upgrade speakers, too- 20 years of use, when averaged out , doesn't amount to much per year so to hell with the kids education (*grin*). Thanks, again.

Collapse -
Why change speakers?
by michael robinson / April 1, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

In my opinion the old kef reference speakers are some of the best ever made.Id wait a few years to get a new amp system b/c of the new audio formats that are coming out now the prices are relatively high plus they do not have all the bus out yet.If I were you Id go out and buy the kef kht-2005.2 or 3005 and for now just get the pioneer vsx-517.Then in the future get some decent seperates.You would have excellent 2 channel with your references and really good 5.1 or 7.1 sound with the kef eggs!

Collapse -
Have to agree with Michael's points well made.
by NM_Bill / April 1, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Why change speakers?

Kef references were & are classy. Certainly not weak performers or second rate. That leads to the philosophical question "Are you itchy with "new car smell" buying fever?"

The same sort of logic applies to the receiver/power source situation. IUt is true that the peresent time is one of those occasional throes of considerable change of HDMI connectivity & several codec compatibility issues of which time is a real teller of what sorts out to have been impleemented better. There have been rough edges with these issues currently. First attempts usually are neither the best nor final step.

As an old fashioned stereo fan for my music, the fullest possible complement of codecs is not anything I have to be concerned with. It is a Home theater thing for those who tend to get fussy about wanting all the possible goodies. Well heck, 7.1 or 9.1 are not the end of it. That sort of numbers game can go on for some time. The technical guy responsible for THX has promoted the idea of 10.2 which can be understood as combining two sets of 5.1. That's a whole bunch of speakers.

Because of financial realities, people tend to compromise quality all the time when assembling a surround setup. They get recognizable distortion, especially from the side & rear surrounds being sacrificed for the admittedly significant impact of the immersing surround effect as the whole package.

Anyway, receivers are only going to get more thoroughly implemented with the new stuff & some additional time for competition to make it all that more affordable. One can not really aspire to obtain state of the art as that is a fast moving target no one of ordinary means can hope to keep up with.

Collapse -
Re: Michael's advice and Bill's response
by Blindsider / April 1, 2008 7:24 AM PDT

Huh, Bill? Michael's advice is solid and is an option I had not considered; What I think Bill is saying is that I'm looking to buy just to buy, without really improving anything- I apologize in advance if I've interpreted the message incorrectly. If I had "itchey new car fever", I'd have bought something by now. It's been 20 years since I've looked at any of this, I don't know what's out there, I don't know if my speakers can be improved upon and I surely do not wish to spend money on something if I'm not going to be happy with it. Again, Michael, thanks and Bill, thanks for the higher end AV options. I'll consider all the advice and hopefully make a competent decision.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.