Computer Help forum

General discussion

AV programs cancel each other out?

Win XP Home Ed SP2

I currently have AVG installed and just added SpySweeper with AV. Will these two AV programs cancel each other out, or cause holes in my AV protection?

Katie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AV programs cancel each other out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AV programs cancel each other out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Running Two AV programs at the same time

In reply to: AV programs cancel each other out?

It is highly likely that this will cause compatibility problems, You could always try them and see. I personally will only use one. I've worked on a few that were running very slow and or freezing up and the problem was two AV programs installed and running at the same time. If you can separate the spy sweeper's Av from the Anti-spy ware function I would do that and not run the AV part, Or uninstall AVG.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the help.

In reply to: When Running Two AV programs at the same time

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to help and thanks for posting back

In reply to: Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
One more question

In reply to: Glad to help and thanks for posting back

I found the spot to turn the spysweeper AV off; which AV would you use - Spysweeper's or AVG? Why?

Collapse -
One Is An Antivirus, The Other Is Antispyware...

In reply to: One more question

...Although there are never any guarantees, they both should work fine together.. Give it a try... If they don't play well together,, turn off Spysweeper and leave AVG running in "real time". . You should still be able to keep Spysweeper up to date and run weekly scans manually.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Umm, not the same

In reply to: One Is An Antivirus, The Other Is Antispyware...

When I got ready to download spysweeper (full version of spyware and anti-virus software), it came up with a window that told me that installing the spysweeper wouldn't work well with AVG.

So, spysweeper is an AV AND a spyware program. AVG, of course, only the AV.

I uninstalled AVG, sent it to the trash. Can restore. Just wanting to know if anyone knows which AV works the best of these two.

Katie

Collapse -
Sorry, I Missed Your Mention Of That In The First Post...

In reply to: Umm, not the same

Normally, most users purchase Spysweeper for it's excellent spyware detection ability.. Very few purchase the addition antivirus version.

In reference to the Webroot antivirus program vs. AVG, the antivirus program included is by Sophos which is NOT one of the premier antivirus programs. It's not "bad" but not the best. See the review at the link below, specifically the " CNET editors' review" section in the upper right and the "User Opinions" section.:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Webroot_Spy_Sweeper_5_2_with_Antivirus/4505-3667_7-32135428.html

So in my opinion, AVG is a better antivirus program but Spysweeper is an EXCELLENT antispyware program.. It's one of the reasons I don't user combination "Suites" utilities.

Still, the decision is up to you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Back to you, Grif

In reply to: Sorry, I Missed Your Mention Of That In The First Post...

Thanks. I really appreciate your telling me that. My big fear is that I'm going to reinstall AVG and the thing that I think turns the spysweeper anti-virus off is really turning spysweeper off. I don't know how to "be positive" that they aren't competing!

Katie

Collapse -
I Haven't Used The Combined Product....But...

..in most utility suites I have used, there should be an option to disable only the antivirus. As to unchecking the correct option in Spysweeper to disable the antivirus, sorry, I can't help much. Have you checked the "Help" section of the program?

In addition, if you read the full installation instructions for Spysweeper with Antivirus, it specifically advises the user to uninstall any other antivirus programs BEFORE installing Spysweeper. See the link below in Step 3":

http://support.webroot.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=2622

You'll also note that potentially conflicting software is usually noted.. If your AVG program wasn't noted, it may or may not be a problem.. It also gives you an option to install WITHOUT installing the antivirus portion..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In Addition, Is There A 'Shields' Section??

A quick check of Webroot's site inidictes there is a "Shields" tab on the left side of the configuration window.. Are you able to UNCHECK the "Virus shield" there?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes, unchecked the AV

In reply to: In Addition, Is There A 'Shields' Section??

Thanks, Grif, for going above and beyond my question. I'm pretty sure I'm okay, 'cause I did uncheck the AV box on spysweeper. Then reinstalled AVG. Guess I'm okay!

Katie

Collapse -
Try A Test...

In reply to: Yes, unchecked the AV

Click on the link below to visit the EICAR test virus site. (The file is a "test" virus, NOT an actual one.. After opening the page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Eicar.com" and "Eicar.com.txt" files, others as well, to see if your antivirus program is detecting them.. If Spysweeper is running in the background, it might detect them also. If detected, delete them to verify the program is working.

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
AV test program

In reply to: Try A Test...

Grif

I went to the link you provided and came up with someones web site. It appeared to be the one you gave me the link for. However, I cannot get past the page that appears in the window. Their headings and all fill up the page and I can only scroll down about an 1" before the page is ended.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Katie

Collapse -
Check Again...

In reply to: AV test program

It is a strange page...On the right side of the window, there is a second scroll bar which is just to the left of the main scroll bar.. If you're using an 800 X 600 screen resolution, you may also need to use the scroll bar on the bottom of the screen to move over the window. Try again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.