Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

AutoStart Problem XP?

by sugarbear246 / October 11, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

When I Boot Up, Not Every Program I have "To Start" On Start Up, Show Up in my System Tray?
***WHEN I "LOG OFF", AND "BACK ON"....ALL PROGRAMS I HAVE SET TO "START ON BOOT UP", SHOW UP IN MY SYSTEM TRAY?
Does anyone KNOW WHY this is Occurring, AND "HOW DO I FIX THIS"?

Thanks ahead of time;
sugarbear 246

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AutoStart Problem XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AutoStart Problem XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question. The answer might be
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: AutoStart Problem XP?

That these programs have DEPENDENCIES. That is, PROGRAM A may not start until PROGRAM B is running.

There is no HOW TO on this. And you learn a lot solving it.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP forum: AutoStart Problem XP?
by sugarbear246 / October 13, 2011 8:22 AM PDT

Hi Bob! I'm Assuming you're Speaking of "Services" that "Must" be Running in order for these Programs that "should" Appear in the System Tray to Appear?
Am I Correct? And if so....WHAT SPECIFIC SERVICES "MAY BE TURNED OFF"? ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 8:30 AM PDT

When we read about dependencies many that have dealt with this would think "Aha, that's services." But the dependency issues extend to programs or apps as well.

Remember we can't see what you are starting and I don't see anything written except the "symptom."

If I were to dive into this I would have to look at the machine with tools like HIJACKTHIS, AUTORUNS and then see what apps are starting and think which could interfere.

There was a time when a AUTOSTART (autorun) DELAYER was used. Let's find that thing.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/startdelay.html

There it is. Startup Delayer.
Bob

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / October 13, 2011 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Well once again Bob you have steered me in a direction I had not been Familiar with before? Truly this IS a Learning experience for me! I LOVE LEARNING EXPERIENCES!! I have downloaded the Freeware Tool, and will now test it out, and get back to you!
SugarBear246

Collapse -
Good to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

I think the area you are exploring is a good one. It lets you take a closer look at the machine and how it works.
Bob

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / October 14, 2011 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to read that.

Bob; you're not going to believe this! The problem was Actually "Malware"? I ran "XoftSpySE", and "Emsisoft"...(they both picked up different stuff),...You won't believe HOW MANY SPYWARES WAS FOUND ON MY SYSTEM? OVER 2,000? Would you believe it? Anyway my problems are solved, and my computer is now Booting Up Fine!
Thanks though for the Startup Delay Tool, This can be a useful item!
Thanks Again!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
About malware detection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 3:05 AM PDT

I like Grif's view and post on those. Here's a link and hope all the above helped.

7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?