Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

AutoRun not working

by danle534 / June 28, 2013 8:04 AM PDT

Hi ... reading previous topics, this forum has always been extremely helpful. However I am having difficulty figuring how to use my StompSoft "Drive Washer" to permanently eliminate all my hard drive data on an old computer before I recycle it...

My old, old computer is a Dell tower that runs with Windows XP. The "Drive Washer" CD will only work if it loads before Windows ... so it is important that AutoRun works. It doesn't work...

I have run "regedit" and made sure that AutoRun is set to "1" (it already was). The problem seems to be that AutoRunAlwaysDisable seems to have info in it that (if I understand correctly) overrides the AutoRun setting. I understand that I should NOT remove this info or my CD drive may not work correctly. What should I do? Should I modify the AutoRunAlwaysDisable to include the "Drive Washer" info (if so, I have no idea what I should type/add there).

I have also tried hitting Control+F11 upon startup to remove Windows ... but that doesn't work either. Keep in mind that I am trying to erase ALL DATA from this computer so I don't care about destroying any files. I really would like to responsibly recycle this computer but I am willing to disassemble it and take a sledgehammer to it if nothing else works (but only as a last resort).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Happy

danle534 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AutoRun not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AutoRun not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by danle534

Collapse -
Ever set the boot order?
by mchainmchain / June 28, 2013 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: AutoRun not working

Factory default is set to have the hard drive or floppy drive set to boot first.

When the system first starts up, the Dell screen should say what F function key to depress to enter the BIOS. On most Dells this is the F2 key.

Depress that repeatedly when that screen shows and you will have access to the BIOS program.

Once in there, look for a page that refers to boot order.

You should see in that page something like <make/model> hard drive
<make/model> cd or dvd drive
<make/model> floppy drive

In order to tell your computer to boot from the <Drive Washer> disc, you must move the cd or dvd drive to the top of the list, usually by using the up/down arrows and highlighting the cd drive and then hitting the plus key on the numerical keyboard.

Once this is set the way you want, then exit and confirm you want to save your changes. System will automatically reboot when you confirm and exit.

BIOS programs do not use a mouse to navigate through pages and options, you must use your keyboard keys for this. Instructions on how to navigate inside the program are included in the BIOS program, read them to learn how.

Worst comes to worst, there is always the option to reset the BIOS to default, save and exit, and start over again.

Collapse -
Problem Solved!
by danle534 / June 29, 2013 4:56 AM PDT

Thanks, mchainmchain ... F2 did the trick! Happy

Collapse -
NP
by mchainmchain / June 29, 2013 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved!

But it wasn't just F2, was it? You must've had to do a bit more work than press F2 to get this done?

Glad to help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?