Resolved Question

AutoRun not working

Hi ... reading previous topics, this forum has always been extremely helpful. However I am having difficulty figuring how to use my StompSoft "Drive Washer" to permanently eliminate all my hard drive data on an old computer before I recycle it...

My old, old computer is a Dell tower that runs with Windows XP. The "Drive Washer" CD will only work if it loads before Windows ... so it is important that AutoRun works. It doesn't work...

I have run "regedit" and made sure that AutoRun is set to "1" (it already was). The problem seems to be that AutoRunAlwaysDisable seems to have info in it that (if I understand correctly) overrides the AutoRun setting. I understand that I should NOT remove this info or my CD drive may not work correctly. What should I do? Should I modify the AutoRunAlwaysDisable to include the "Drive Washer" info (if so, I have no idea what I should type/add there).

I have also tried hitting Control+F11 upon startup to remove Windows ... but that doesn't work either. Keep in mind that I am trying to erase ALL DATA from this computer so I don't care about destroying any files. I really would like to responsibly recycle this computer but I am willing to disassemble it and take a sledgehammer to it if nothing else works (but only as a last resort).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Happy

Discussion is locked
danle534 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: AutoRun not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AutoRun not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Ever set the boot order?

Factory default is set to have the hard drive or floppy drive set to boot first.

When the system first starts up, the Dell screen should say what F function key to depress to enter the BIOS. On most Dells this is the F2 key.

Depress that repeatedly when that screen shows and you will have access to the BIOS program.

Once in there, look for a page that refers to boot order.

You should see in that page something like <make/model> hard drive
<make/model> cd or dvd drive
<make/model> floppy drive

In order to tell your computer to boot from the <Drive Washer> disc, you must move the cd or dvd drive to the top of the list, usually by using the up/down arrows and highlighting the cd drive and then hitting the plus key on the numerical keyboard.

Once this is set the way you want, then exit and confirm you want to save your changes. System will automatically reboot when you confirm and exit.

BIOS programs do not use a mouse to navigate through pages and options, you must use your keyboard keys for this. Instructions on how to navigate inside the program are included in the BIOS program, read them to learn how.

Worst comes to worst, there is always the option to reset the BIOS to default, save and exit, and start over again.

- Collapse -
Problem Solved!

Thanks, mchainmchain ... F2 did the trick! Happy

- Collapse -
NP

But it wasn't just F2, was it? You must've had to do a bit more work than press F2 to get this done?

Glad to help.

CNET Forums