Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

autorun and drive icons

by Ck87.JF / April 8, 2006 2:15 PM PDT

Hello... a while back, I decided to turn off autorun to make sure that things like Sony CDs didn't take over my system. A while after that, the icons for CDs, my hard drive, and my flash drives wouldn't work anymore. You know, the "special" icons set with autorun.inf and an .ico file. I used these so I could quickly differentiate among drives, but now they're all the standard WinXP icons. This seemed to have happened a while after I turned off autorun, so that doesn't seem to be what it could be... but logically, it'd make sense.
Comments/suggestions? Thanks much, have a good day.
-Christopher

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: autorun and drive icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: autorun and drive icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: icons
by Ck87.JF / April 9, 2006 11:44 PM PDT

So, does anyone know a solution to this problem? I'd like some help on it...
Thanks,
-Christopher

Collapse -
Not a bug. By design.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2006 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: re: icons

Since autorun can read the autorun.inf and populate the icon, disabling not only turns off autorun, but the icon as well.

Not a bug.

Bob

Collapse -
re: not a bug
by Ck87.JF / April 10, 2006 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a bug. By design.

Yeah, I kind of figure as much, I was just making sure. It seemed like the icons worked for a while after, but it could always be that I was mistaken. Thanks Bob... you've always been a great help. Happy Thank you and all the others that take time to answer questions, even when they're as silly as mine.

Collapse -
Not Silly
by Themisive / April 11, 2006 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: re: not a bug

My motto is "If in doubt - Shout"; basically if you don't know the answer to a problem, ask as many others who DO know may well be able to help.

Collapse -
autorun on, still nothing
by Ck87.JF / April 11, 2006 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Silly

Okay, well referring to a guide as to how to turn the autorun off, I reversed it, and added a one instead of zero, at the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
at the "Autorun" key, or whatever
I've restarted, and still no icons, nor any start-up activity. Then again, I can't be completely sure this is the area of the registry that I worked with the last time. It's so big... but yeah, I don't do much in there. That was just one of a couple of things I did to make life easier... and now, of course, a few months after a fresh install of Windows, my computer is doing all kinds of crazy things, even without virus or spyware problems, ever. Maybe it's 'cause I do too much (30+ apps & gigs upon gigs of music, pictures, and video). Firefox especially has been acting up, taking up 50,000K up to 100,000K or more of my RAM.

But anyway, is there another area of the registry, possibly, that might be associated with autorun/autoplay?

So you know,
512MB RAM
150GB (40GB=used, 110=free) HDD
1.6GHz AMD Sempron 2600+
My system doesn't run terribly slow, but it DOES respond slower when Firefox or a few other power-hungry apps are open.

Collapse -
Try the usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 5:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
It sounds
by Themisive / April 12, 2006 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usuals.

Suspiciously like you have some form of parasite on your machine. Run spyware/malware scans and anti-virus, you could always try downloading Ewido form http://www.ewido.net/en[/url and load that - it may need updating, run the scan and delete ANYTHING it finds, now reboot and try again.

Collapse -
Hey, cool stuff.
by Ck87.JF / April 12, 2006 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usuals.

On the subject of auto-run, I downloaded that program, and it basically told me that the shell hardware detection service wasn't running, so that's why the icons weren't there. They are now that I've enabled it again.

Wow, I've never heard of seamonkey before, but upon googling it, I found out it's an aquarium of swimming monkeys! No, wait... that's not right. Ah, next result; it's a project by Mozilla for "everything but the kitchen sink." I guess I can't use that, because to me, the kitchen sink is a VERY important tool.
All silliness aside, how does seamonkey fare in memory/processor usage?

Oh, and I applied that temporary fix for firefox, so hopefully that will curb the memory usage of 130,000K (what it is currently). That's pitiful... 3/4 of my memory is in use. I guess I'll know next time I restart.
Thanks, guys, for all the help! Happy
-Christopher

Collapse -
74,960 thousand seamonkeys.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey, cool stuff.

It doesn't appear to leak to me... Oh, and that's with a dozen tabs open and is 74,960 K bytes.

Bob

Collapse -
lots of seamonkeys
by Ck87.JF / April 12, 2006 8:23 AM PDT

Wow, a dozen tabs, huh? Multitask much? Silly I usually have a few open, maybe seven or eight, but rarely more than ten. Heh. But then there's those days when I load news stories, and all that, and I have like... twenty or more.

But having a dozen tabs open and running at 74,960K is awesome. I assume it's much smaller with five or so tabs. That's cool. I ought to try that out. Do the Firefox extensions natively work with seamonkey, or would I have to go find the seamonkey equivalents? And speaking of extensions, how many do you have? I have twelve... but the thing is, I use them all... I used to have more, but reluctantly got rid of some of the less important ones.

Well, that's cool. Later,
-Christopher

Collapse -
About extensions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: lots of seamonkeys

I use so few that I can't share much on that. But I know many that feel slighted when an extension stops working. For me I use the email, html editor and of course the browser. The only extension I'm using is Adblock.

Bob

Collapse -
interesting
by Ck87.JF / April 25, 2006 1:21 PM PDT

Well, this is an interesting twist. A while ago, I downloaded and ran the autofix in the "try the usuals" post, and so autorun was fixed. I then turned off autorun for the CD drive using TweakUI, so that the icons for my hard drives & flash drives work, but I still don't have to worry about stuff on the CDs. Well, I burned five CDs tonight, all with the same icon except for the first (after burning the first CD, I changed my mind), and after burning them, I turned on autorun. I closed the drive with CD5 already in there, and in Explorer, it showed "lydia5" with the icon I had set for that CD, like normal. But after ejecting and replacing with number four (hey, so what if it's backwards? Silly ), it still said lydia5. I figured maybe I just accidentally named it wrong, and dropped in #3. STILL lydia5. The content on each CD changed accordingly, but in explorer, it didn't. I got to the first CD with the different icon, and it still said lydia5 with the same icon as the last four discs, instead of the first one.
So... somehow the drive is stuck showing that icon and CD name. Now that I think of it, this has happened before.

Comments/suggestions? Thanks...
-Christopher

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.