Peripherals forum

General discussion

AutoPlay not working for DVD drive

by encinoman62 / December 1, 2003 10:20 AM PST

My PC is suddenly not automatically playing CD's or DVD discs when I insert it in the drive. It use to come up (AutoPlay) whenever I inserted a disc. The only way it will AutoPlay now is if I boot up the PC with a disc already in the DVD drive. I have already tried to update the driver in Windows XP (Home Edition) and I even checked the Registry to see if the drive is set to AutoPlay. The drive itself is a Pioneer DVD 16X slot drive. My DVD drive is set to Secondary Slave, and I have a CD burner (TDK 40X) is set to Secondary Master. If I am forgetting any information, just let me know, and I will post it. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AutoPlay not working for DVD drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AutoPlay not working for DVD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) XP? Suddenly? Then you use SYSTEM RESTORE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 10:40 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:(NT) XP? Suddenly? Then you use SYSTEM RESTORE.
by encinoman62 / December 1, 2003 12:29 PM PST

System Restore does not fix it. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Re:AutoPlay not working for DVD drive
by encinoman62 / December 1, 2003 12:33 PM PST

I've also noticed my I can't read any files on my CD burner (the TDK drive).

Collapse -
That makes sense.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 8:15 PM PST

XP does odd things when hardware begins to fail. You may want to remove the TDK for now.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:That makes sense.
by encinoman62 / December 2, 2003 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: That makes sense.

Well, usually that would be the case, but both drives, the Pioneer DVD 16X and the TDK CD burner, are not able to Autoplay or retrieve data unless I have a disc in each when I boot up Windows. I've tried reinstalling Windows XP Home Edition (not a clean install, just a upgrade install), and that didn't work either. Would it have something to do with the motherboard drivers? (Since the Secondary Master and Slave are hooked up to the TDK and the Pioneer, in that order) I have a Asus P4PE 845 chipset motherboard. Should I reinstall the motherboard drivers?

Collapse -
Hello?
by encinoman62 / December 3, 2003 10:04 AM PST

Well.....what about my suggestion? Why take out the TDK when both drives are having the same problem?

Collapse -
Hello?.......I guess since I haven't got a reply, must mean the moderator doesn't know!
by encinoman62 / December 6, 2003 9:00 AM PST

Do you not know?

Collapse -
Does it say this in box when you take out disk......

gcasDtServ.exe-No disk

Collapse -
Matbe this will help from Microsoft....
by Jwd1savh / March 25, 2005 2:24 AM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

It is called "Autoplay Repair Wizard", not sure if it will fix your problem or not.
You can also go to "My Computer", right click on each drive, then "Properties" and check under the "Autoplay" tab. Go to the pull down window and select "DVD Movie", it should show your DVD player or players in the "Action" box, if not you may want to "Restore Defaults".
Hopefully one or the other will work for you.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.