Question

AutoPlay issue

Hi,

<oSilly> </oSilly>

This might be a little more
tricky than it seems on face value, so here we go!

<oSilly> </oSilly>

I have recently run CCleaner for
the first time and since, when I put a CD/DVD (or use a USB port) into my
Windows 7 64-bit machine, they are no longer detected by Autoplay, and I have
to use the manual start.

<oSilly> </oSilly>

After first checking out at the
Control Panel AutoPlay settings, I tried some basic 'tweaks' to the
NoDriveTypeAutoRun values without success (strangely though, KIS does seem to
detect any USB Port usage).

<oSilly> </oSilly>

As all other functions on my PC
seem to be working correctly, I wondered if anyone could give me any advice on
this please. Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious here?

<oSilly> </oSilly>

Many thanks,

<oSilly> </oSilly>

<span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> M.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AutoPlay issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AutoPlay issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Two bits of advice actually

Two bit of advice actually, so it's a two for one sale here.

First off, registry cleaners/fixers/whatever are a waste of time at best, dangerous at worst. Doesn't matter who made them, the whole lot are snake oil scams, and it's better to let other people be the morons who ruin their systems running them.

Second bit of bonus advice, is that the auto-run feature is VERY dangerous. It's a great way for malware, viruses, etc, to spread, so it's really better left turned off. In fact, I could swear that Microsoft made that the default behavior quite some time ago. In any case, it's better the way it is now.

- Collapse -
AutoPlay issue

Thanks for that Jimmy,
I agree totally with what you are saying. I'm just one of these types who likes to screw around with these things, and gets himself into trouble as a result sometimes.
Uncertainty is part of the process of learning which I take going in, and it niggles away me when I can't get to the bottom of things - for a while, anyway.
Thanks again,
M.

- Collapse -
Tried This?
- Collapse -
AutoPlay issue

Hi Grif,
Thanks for that, it's really interesting! Certainly gives me a few useful ideas to play around with that I hadn't thought of.
All part or the learning curve for me,
Thanks again,
M.

- Collapse -
AutoPlay issue - help from Grif Thomas

Hi Grif,
I had a look through the article you advised me to read in 'My Digital Life', and read a paragraph which enabled me to get to the bottom of the thing.
In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, I found the registry key in DWORD was set to x0ff and I changed it back to X00.
I also do not think the value had been changed by my experimentation with CCleaner. It looks very much as though it could have been a result of having downloaded a version of VMware Player, as also suggested in the article, when making a clone of my PC on an external drive.
Again, many thanks for that.
M.

- Collapse -
Autorun restricted to CD/DVD

Totally agree that all autorun should be disabled.
How to disable the Autorun functionality in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Unfortunately the last time Microsoft addressed this autorun issue was in response to fake Microsoft Update e-mail notifications which allowed autorun.ini worms similar to W32/cornficker and the actual update Microsoft released disabled autorun for USB drives but not certain USB devices nor CD/DVD drives.
Restrict USB Autorun: Update for Windows (KB971029)
http://www.thesecurityblog.com/2011/03/restrict-usb-autorun-update-for-windows-kb971029/
Update to the AutoPlay functionality in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029
Update for Windows Autorun
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/967940.mspx

When update KB971029 was originally released in February,2011 it was only offered as an "optional software important non-security" and then only in March 2011 was it included with the other monthly updates. As per usual confusion Micosoft later said it was amatter of miscommunication and not a mistake.
This does as you state go back some time, somewhere around October 2008 with release of KB KB958644 to address cornficker.

I think the following article pretty much sums it up>
News of AutoRun's Death Has Been Greatly Exaggerated
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002099.html

CNET Forums

Forum Info