Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Question

Automotion Plus advice

Dec 29, 2011 4:12PM PST

Hi folks. I have a new Samsung UN55D6420 LED tv. I only buy a tv about every 10 years so it is important to me to make sure I have the right tv. The thing I am struggling with is Samsung's method of controlling motion and the unnatural Soap Opera effect. I am trying the various settings to try and find a compromise between stuttering motion and an unnatural Soap Opera look. I am watching Blu-rays of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I notice the suddering motion when there is a 360 degree panoramic scene and the Automotion plus is turned off. My comments on the various Automotion plus settings:
1. Auto- good motion but unatural look
2. Clear- my current choice for natural look but still results in a bit of judder.
3. Standard and Smooth, similar to Auto.
I am unsure how to experiment with Custom, adjusting the Blur and Judder Reduction. Can anyone comment on these settings or share their experiences? I hope I have the best choice of tv in this price range. I am concerned though.
Mark

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Stutter during football games
Dec 30, 2011 11:45AM PST

Hello everyone, I notice when im watching football games,at the snap of the ball the picture stutters or you see a blur. It will then speed up and run normally.This happens with (auto motion plus) on or off.

- Collapse -
Answer
Automotion Plus advice
Dec 30, 2011 6:38AM PST

mb571,

- Collapse -
Automotion Plus Off
Dec 30, 2011 10:05AM PST

I have it (Automotion Plus) off for tv and lower quality video. If I switch it off for a blu-ray, I notice stutter and blurring in the picture. Motion is not handled very well when set to off.

Mark

- Collapse -
Automotion Plus Off
Dec 30, 2011 2:03PM PST

mb571,

- Collapse -
BD Wise On
Dec 30, 2011 4:27PM PST

My Blu-ray player is a Samsung 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player (BD-D6500) and is set with BD Wise on. I believe that makes it select the best choice for format. With BD wise on, the ``Movie Frame 24Fs`` is greyed out at Auto.

Mark

- Collapse -
Judder vs Soap Opera Effect
Jan 8, 2012 2:49AM PST

Very frustrating. I complained about the Soap Opera effect and a Samsung tech told me to turn off Automotion Plus. The judder was awful, and when I complained about the judder, a Samsung tech said it was because you turned off the Automotion plus. I have about one more week while I can still return this UN55D6420. I very much want to keep it, but in the end I have to be confident that it is capable of producing a decent picture that looks realistic and free of judder. (<a href="http://http//forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-552584/add-digital-channels-manually-samsung-problem/?tag=contentBody;threadListing" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><font color="#2964bf">See my other beef about adding digital channels manually</font></a&gtWink
So far I've tried Automotion Plus set to "Clear". No Soap Opera effect and mild Judder.
I am currently experimenting with "Custom" Judder - 8, Blur Reduction - 0
In the end I hope to be able to tune it to a picture I can live with. Samsung needs to tune their manuals and Tech advice such that people are not returning these tv's when they are tricky to get good results with.
The most challenging scene that is a good test for Judder is from LOTR- The Two Towers, Extended blu-ray, disc 2, chapter 13, 44:25 where the camera pans around Aragorn for 360 degrees. With Automotion plus off the mountains are just a twitching.

- Collapse -
Judder vs Soap Opera Effect
Jan 16, 2012 12:43PM PST

mb571,

- Collapse -
Answer
nope wrong
Oct 27, 2016 7:35PM PDT

by customizing your auto motion plus from juddee reduction from 0 to 10 and blur reduction to 10 both judder and blur to max of 10 on my 75 inch samsung 6300 240 hertz tv video games play and feel a lot smoother and more realistic and for my tv there is no lag at all i got screenshots of breath taking graphics to prove it...with it on video games at higher fps play smoother and run how they suppose to

- Collapse -
Closing this old thread.
Oct 27, 2016 7:39PM PDT

Your reply is not about the UN55D6420 so I'm unsure why you added this.

Closing this old thread