Samsung forum

Question

Automotion Plus advice

by mb571 / December 29, 2011 4:12 PM PST

Hi folks. I have a new Samsung UN55D6420 LED tv. I only buy a tv about every 10 years so it is important to me to make sure I have the right tv. The thing I am struggling with is Samsung's method of controlling motion and the unnatural Soap Opera effect. I am trying the various settings to try and find a compromise between stuttering motion and an unnatural Soap Opera look. I am watching Blu-rays of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I notice the suddering motion when there is a 360 degree panoramic scene and the Automotion plus is turned off. My comments on the various Automotion plus settings:
1. Auto- good motion but unatural look
2. Clear- my current choice for natural look but still results in a bit of judder.
3. Standard and Smooth, similar to Auto.
I am unsure how to experiment with Custom, adjusting the Blur and Judder Reduction. Can anyone comment on these settings or share their experiences? I hope I have the best choice of tv in this price range. I am concerned though.
Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automotion Plus advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automotion Plus advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Stutter during football games
by fitandlit / December 30, 2011 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Automotion Plus advice

Hello everyone, I notice when im watching football games,at the snap of the ball the picture stutters or you see a blur. It will then speed up and run normally.This happens with (auto motion plus) on or off.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Automotion Plus advice
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2011 6:38 AM PST

mb571,

Collapse -
Automotion Plus Off
by mb571 / December 30, 2011 10:05 AM PST

I have it (Automotion Plus) off for tv and lower quality video. If I switch it off for a blu-ray, I notice stutter and blurring in the picture. Motion is not handled very well when set to off.

Mark

Collapse -
Automotion Plus Off
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2011 2:03 PM PST
In reply to: Automotion Plus Off

mb571,

Collapse -
BD Wise On
by mb571 / December 30, 2011 4:27 PM PST

My Blu-ray player is a Samsung 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player (BD-D6500) and is set with BD Wise on. I believe that makes it select the best choice for format. With BD wise on, the ``Movie Frame 24Fs`` is greyed out at Auto.

Mark

Collapse -
Judder vs Soap Opera Effect
by mb571 / January 8, 2012 2:49 AM PST

Very frustrating. I complained about the Soap Opera effect and a Samsung tech told me to turn off Automotion Plus. The judder was awful, and when I complained about the judder, a Samsung tech said it was because you turned off the Automotion plus. I have about one more week while I can still return this UN55D6420. I very much want to keep it, but in the end I have to be confident that it is capable of producing a decent picture that looks realistic and free of judder. (<a href="http://http//forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-552584/add-digital-channels-manually-samsung-problem/?tag=contentBody;threadListing" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><font color="#2964bf">See my other beef about adding digital channels manually</font></a>)
So far I've tried Automotion Plus set to "Clear". No Soap Opera effect and mild Judder.
I am currently experimenting with "Custom" Judder - 8, Blur Reduction - 0
In the end I hope to be able to tune it to a picture I can live with. Samsung needs to tune their manuals and Tech advice such that people are not returning these tv's when they are tricky to get good results with.
The most challenging scene that is a good test for Judder is from LOTR- The Two Towers, Extended blu-ray, disc 2, chapter 13, 44:25 where the camera pans around Aragorn for 360 degrees. With Automotion plus off the mountains are just a twitching.

Collapse -
Judder vs Soap Opera Effect
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2012 12:43 PM PST

mb571,

Collapse -
Answer
nope wrong
by exclusive92 / October 27, 2016 7:35 PM PDT

by customizing your auto motion plus from juddee reduction from 0 to 10 and blur reduction to 10 both judder and blur to max of 10 on my 75 inch samsung 6300 240 hertz tv video games play and feel a lot smoother and more realistic and for my tv there is no lag at all i got screenshots of breath taking graphics to prove it...with it on video games at higher fps play smoother and run how they suppose to

Collapse -
Closing this old thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2016 7:39 PM PDT
In reply to: nope wrong

Your reply is not about the UN55D6420 so I'm unsure why you added this.

Closing this old thread

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!