Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Automatically shutting down

by kousikm / August 12, 2010 12:24 AM PDT

Hi all,
I have windows 98 as well as windows XP installed in my machine in different drive(Motherboard-VIA P4M266a NDMx series V7.1). Currently after taking internet I am facing lots of problem.
1. After starting up it is showing lsass.exe and 1sass.exe pop up
only once.
2. The machine is showing deadly blue screen with all its messages
and a technical information at last. It shows sometimes when I
tried to run antivirus or tried to update a driver and so on.
3. When the deadly blue screen shows I restart my machine. Then it
shows below options :
i) Start Windows in safe mode
ii) Start Windows using dos/command prompt
iii) Start with latest working setup that worked properly.
iv) Start windows normally.

When I try to run normally or option (iii) it simply hangs.
When I try to run using dos/command prompt it just shows some
system files mostly from D:/Windows/system32/drivers folders and
just hangs.

Please help what should I do? I have formatted the D drive(XP) and again reinstalled it but still facing all those.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatically shutting down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatically shutting down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That 1sass.exe is likely to be malware.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 5:37 AM PDT

Your post is a little confusing.

"after taking internet"; what does that mean?

"After starting up it is showing lsass.exe and 1sass.exe pop up". What is popping up, when, and what is the full error message?

"The machine is showing deadly blue screen with all it's messages" What messages? Is there a "STOP Error:" code? If so, what is it?

1sass.exe is often related to malware, and if the lsass.exe that s shown is located anywhere other than C:\Windows\System32 then it is also a virus.

If you can start the system into Safe Mode, run your anti-virus from there. You may also want to follow Grif's advice in his post here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=328528#2969621

Mark

Collapse -
combofix
by SvenStation / August 14, 2010 12:55 PM PDT

not sure if it works on 98, but you might want to try
Combofix

Collapse -
Machine is just getting hanged
by kousikm / August 15, 2010 3:48 PM PDT

Hi,

1. "after taking internet" means immediately connecting to the internet my machine is getting virus affected though I have antivirus installed.Which the antivirus is needed is to be updated online. Actually I am not even getting the time my antivirus is to be updated online.As soon as I am connectig to the internet my machine is virus affected. Please suggest a good free antivirus.
2. Another great problem is that once my machine is virus affected it
is not getting started in safe mode too.While trying to boot in
safe mode it shows list of files mostly sys files
from /Windows/system32/Drivers folders and just hangs forever.
3. Even I can not format my machine and reinstall because machine
just hangs after sometimes.

At any cost I need to protect my PC from virus. Please suggest a good free antivirus.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!