Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Automatically Logs Off When Accessing from a network...why?

by Purp McGirt / March 27, 2007 12:47 AM PDT

Ok here's the setup.

I have a wireless network at my house.
I have a Dell running XP, and a MacBook Pro.

I turned on sharing (for specific drives) and turned off the windows firewall on the Dell.
Currently, I have it set in the Display Properties that the screensaver does not require a password, and I have set in Power Settings to not require a password coming back from Standby.

This works flawlessly, whenever I wake up my computer I never have been logged off or have to enter any password, EXCEPT WHEN -
When I connect to the shared drive on my Dell from my MacBook the MacBook loads the network volume fine, I can read/write files with no problem, UNTIL
Never fail, about 1 or 2 minutes after I connect to the Dell with the MacBook, the Dell screen goes black, and when I wake it up, it has logged off and is asking for a username + password.
This is very, very annoying because obviously when the computer logs off it kills the network connection for my MacBook.
I just want it so that I can just leave my Dell on all day, and use it as a kind of file server that is always accessible through the wireless network...

I can use the Dell for hours, everytime it goes to screen saver or goes to sleep, it wakes with no password, but as SOON as I connect to the shared drive on the Dell from my laptop, the Dell blacks out and logs off.

Any suggestions would be much, much appreciated, been driving me mad.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatically Logs Off When Accessing from a network...why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatically Logs Off When Accessing from a network...why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something is amiss since...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

One doesn't have to be logged on the XP box for Windows filesharing to work.

Any ideas why your machine required this?

Bob

Collapse -
thats what I thought also...
by Purp McGirt / March 27, 2007 1:14 AM PDT

didn't even think being logged off should create a problem.

maybe when the screen goes blank its putting the computer to sleep, or in standby or something? that would cause the network connection to be interrupted, no?

Collapse -
Sorry, but details are slim here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

I would write about drivers or SP2 but I have very little to work with except the obvious. Shares work just fine here with a boot to login screen. I prefer that since I don't want to leave a screen logged in so others can walk up and play with it.

-> I also set the screensaver to "none" on the servers. No need for it since it can chew up CPU and more resources. We just turn off the monitor with the power switch or in the power control panel.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by Purp McGirt / March 27, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

thanks for the suggestions.

Im running SP2 and most of my drivers are up to date i think, you think this could be a driver issue?

UPDATE
I tried not even logging in to windows after starting the machine, and accessing the shares from my mac. Again, it worked fine for about 30 seconds until the windows machine just restarted itself.

Collapse -
Log off NOT EQUAL to the windows machine just restarted
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Those are 2 distinct and different issues. If you had written restarted I would take the path about drivers. You wrote LOG OFF so I was asking about that.

-> Which is it?

Once I know I'll reply to your top entry about what to look for. And drivers will be covered if it's a restart.

Bob

Collapse -
haha, yeah sorry about that
by Purp McGirt / March 27, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

originally I THOUGHT it was just logging off, because when i came back to the PC it was back at the login screen...

but finally I just watched the PC...and observed that whenever I connect to the shared drive wirelessly from my MacBook, it connects fine at first, and I can browse the files on the share, until about 15 seconds later the PC just blacks out and RESTARTS itself, and starts up at the login screen.

And it kind of an odd setup...

I have a Mac formatted external USB 300GB HD connected to the PC, and im using a program called MacDrive to access it in windows. 3Ghz with 512 RAM, with SP2.

thanks again

Collapse -
Now that it's restarting this is what I do...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

1. I clear the EVENT VIEWER log. Hint: I'll take the coward's shortcut and not describe in detail how to so things at first. Try google.com if you don't know an item.

2. Now I'll cause the restart.

3. I login to the Windows box and head for the Event Viewer and see why it thinks it wanted to reboot.

Armed with that clue I either do more research on Google or find out I forgot a motherboard driver package or use the clues for a new direction.

Bob

Collapse -
great idea, thanks
by Purp McGirt / March 27, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

clear and checked the event log

only thing i found that might be of any importance was

"Dump Information None 1001 N/A OL_BLACKIE The computer has rebooted
from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008,
0xf8800d70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini032707-08.dmp."

not really sure what it means, but ill check it out on google.

another strange message was

"The
description for Event ID ( 5 ) in Source ( PQV2i ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may
be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
event: ."

Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: great idea, thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?