General discussion

Automatic Updating on Shutdown

My computer is only 2 months old. It runs XP home, Norton Anti virus, Ad-aware SE, Norton and Zone Alarm firewalls. Yesterday when I shut down (turn off) my computer, it went into automatic update. It shows the blue "windows is shutting down" screen and says "please do not turn off your computer.I have never seen this before so I forced it to turn off by holding down the on/off button. Does anyone know what is going on? How do I find out what program is attempting to update and whether it is safe?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Automatic Updating on Shutdown
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Automatic Updating on Shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
could be any number of things..

possible firewall conflict or any other

suggest you replicate and note what program is trying to update as you shut down.

post back.

- Collapse -
Update 1 of 1

It does not say what program is updating. Only updating 1 of 1. Which is why I was suspicious.

- Collapse -
Your incomplete post.

"It does not say what program is updating. Only updating 1 of 1."

I didn't read that "updating 1 of 1." in your first post. With only what you posted, it looks very normal.

Can I ask this? Is the forum tip not showing for you? If not, please repeat such to the Forum Feedback. It can explain why so many miss the forum tip.

Bob

- Collapse -
Is this the right forum?

That sounds like more of a Windows XP Forum question. Plus some updates may do that. Did you let it complete? Depending on the machine, such can take many minutes.

Bob

- Collapse -
Is it a Worm?

Hi Bob,
I thought it might be a worm or something that is trying to load itself onto my computer. I did not let it complete in case it is bad.

- Collapse -
Then reveal...

What antivirus, antispyware tools you use and if you also used an online virus scan. The screen you noted was spotted once by me and while I thought it a bit odd I knew I had just installed some updates.

So far it looks like an OS update, but your post is too light to tell.

Bob

- Collapse -
Here's a known bad thing. You write...

"Norton and Zone Alarm firewalls."

Running multiple firewalls is usually a very bad idea.

Bob

- Collapse -
for R. Proffit

I did not download any Windows update.
Norton Antivirus is set on auto liveupdate and autoprotect.
I scanned my computer with Ad-aware SE but did not find anything.

- Collapse -
Its the autoupdate installing the updates

on the background...

You might configured to download and install without prompting..

So, when you shutdown while the update is being install, then came up the warning..

I'll choose to wait to finish and it will shutdown by itself.

CNET Forums

Forum Info