Question

Automatic updates security alert

I am getting a windows security alert in the notification area saying that auto updates is turned off. In reality it is set to notify me but don't download. When I click turn on auto updates it says that it can't and that I should go through the control panel -system -auto updates tab. I can also click on auto updates at the bottom of the security center screen. I changed the setting to automatic but the alert is still there. Rebooting didn't help.
What now?
Paul

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Automatic updates security alert
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Automatic updates security alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I found this with XP as well

In the end I gave up trying to solve it. My setting was the same as yours and the system notified me at the correct times when updates were available, and they downloaded and installed without problem when I gave the go-ahead.

Vista and Windows 7 both behave a little better with this and I haven't seen the problem you describe with my newer Windows 7 system.

If your system is otherwise working well and you are able to download the updates and install them as and when they are offered, then it won't do any harm to ignore that warning, even though it is a nuisance.

One thought though and I can't check at the moment, can you check your Updates history on XP? If so, are there any updates that have failed to install recently? It's a long shot, but perhaps the system is confused with one that didn't install properly.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Or You Can Simply Turn Off Those Nag Alerts

Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Security Center" icon, then click on the blue link on the left side that says: "Change the way Security Center Alerts Me", then UNCHECK all the boxes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums