Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Automatic Recovery

Its a headache installaing all the applications all over again once the system has crashed or if i need to do a clean install.

So, i wish to know if i can get a program or a method to create an automated recovery from an image tat is present in another partion. Can it be added to the Boot menu or start automated recovery with shortcut key? it should not ask for any CD or anything of tat sort during recovery. More or less what Hp uses, i mean not exactly like Hp.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatic Recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatic Recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You will need a specialized progam for that.

In reply to: Automatic Recovery

Something like Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage. They can create incremental backups where any changes that are made are backed up automatically. They would run in the background and so may slow the computer down.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark

In reply to: You will need a specialized progam for that.

But that was not what i was looking for. i wanted an option more or less what Hp or other branded Pc's use....

For instance we do a clean install and install all the necessary applications like antivirus, MS office, adobe etc then make an image with some imaging software like Snapshot or Norton ghost. The image is placed in another partion.

For an emergency or if v need to do a clean install we cud just recover the image from the drive we had saved it before using some shortcut keys like ALT + F10 or just F11 or by choosing an option from the boot menu before the system searches for an OS.

Collapse -
Think over how HP does this.

In reply to: Thanks Mark

They have a cadre of programmers that craft this solution. It's not something you buy (or at least I think you would not buy) and I've yet to see an offering under a few million. Such systems are worth it to HP since they can spread the cost over thousands of laptops.

This is something your programming staff should craft.

Bob

Collapse -
What you want is what Acronis True Image offers ...

In reply to: Thanks Mark

through its Recovery Manager (Boot, select F11, restore)

Unlike Other solutions you can actually begin working DURING the restoration.

Collapse -
Thanks mark i'll update my database with that......l

In reply to: What you want is what Acronis True Image offers ...

Oh ! 'n edward, that F11 part sounds good to be tried out. so once i take an image of a partition i can restore it using F11 or any function keys without any CD's, rite ! well if that is what it does then i shud really go for it. I've downloaded the trial version yesterday but cudn't find an option to take the imgage of one partition. It has only cloning of a Drive.

If everything works out well then i could put this into practice.

Collapse -
well.......

In reply to: Thanks mark i'll update my database with that......l

my last post was more like a quesion. so can it be done like that.

Collapse -
I must admit

In reply to: well.......

I have not seen that option in TrueImage to just press F11.

I have the full version and I have yet to read much of its Help function or {small} manual.

However the manual does say this;

If your operating system does not load for some reason, you can run Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. However, this must be activated prior to use. To run the program, press F11 during PC bootup, when you see a corresponding message that tells you to press that key. Acronis True Image 10.0 Home will be run in the standalone mode, allowing you to recover the damaged partitions.

My apologies to CNET for re-producing a whole paragraph here, but I thought it would be easier than searching Acronis' web site or elsewhere for the information.

So, it looks like there should be an F11 function on bootup but I guess I have some more research to do because I haven't seen that. I guess, but I could be wrong, that you would need to bootup from the CD, then press F11 when told to.

I am not convinced this is exactly what you want. It seems to me you want an HP type partition on the hard disk, (Dell does it too), where, if your OS goes wrong, you can just reload it from that partition with very little input from you. The trouble is that you will have to create that partition first, (TrueImage doesn't do that), and then save the TrueImage file to that partition.

TrueImage makes an exact copy of the system and this means that, if your current whole system takes up, (for example), 65GB of hard disk space, then so will the TrueImage copy. So you would need your current hard disk to be less than half full, then divide it into two equal size partitions.

Dividing already in use partitions is risky, eg if you are using drive C:\ for your OS and everything else then you will need to re-partition C:\ into two. You would need specialized software to do that like Partition Magic, and even then you should backup your important personal files in case anything goes wrong.

It then seems to me that, having two partitions on the drive, both with exact copies of your system, in effect produces a dual boot system, (although the recovery partition would not boot without editing the boot.ini file), and I am not sure this is what TrueImage is for.

Please take what I say with a little caution. I am still learning about TrueImage.

Mark

Collapse -
Hey ! thanks Mark !

In reply to: I must admit

According to what the manual has said, which you have re-produced here, seems there is nothing mentined about booting from a CD. so i feel this is wat i might need. Oh Oh Oh ! I belive Acronis should be installed on the pc to be run during boot or else how's it gonna boot, rite ! I should also get back to the help manuals now.

I'll update this thread when i know more abt it.

Thanks

Collapse -
Had a Live chat

In reply to: Hey ! thanks Mark !

With andrew from the the technical support. I feel this is something good. But i have yet to try it out. Just when i was browsing for the some tips on Acronis i bumbed into Snapshot, yea the old Drive Snapshot which INDEED is very good. I din really understand the command line commands, welll i do understand 'em but don't see anywhere in the command refering to and any ' .exe ' file. For Eg: C:\> SNAPSHOT C: X:\C-Drive.sna
how is this command gonna perform when there is no .exe file specified. here's the link ->http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/commandline.htm

Collapse -
Not one I have any experience with

In reply to: Had a Live chat

It seems ok. I'm not sure what you mean about the exe but using the Windows interface as shown here, http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/start.htm it will backup the whole drive whether they are exe's included or not.

But how well it performs or not is something I can't comment on.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.