Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Automatic reboot-cant get into windows

by Frizzel / April 15, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

Yesterday I downloaded updates from Microsoft for XP Pro (its set for automatic download)- after installation it asks to reboot, so I did so- but when it rebooted, it got to the Welcome screen, and(screen went blank) then just rebooted again, and kept doing it over and over(Welcome screen,reboot-Welcome screen, reboot-etc) until I booted into Safe Mode and it finally went into Windows. Does anyone what happened or what I can do to fix it. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatic reboot-cant get into windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatic reboot-cant get into windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
me too...
by Dick White / April 15, 2005 1:06 PM PDT

am presently reinstalling windoze for the second time tonight on my wife's computer. Am getting more and more pissed by the minute (down to 34 minutes estimated completion time...) What is going on?

dw

Collapse -
Look Here.
by Stan Chambers / April 15, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

If you have or can get Belarc (freeware) on your computer. It will report if any patches are not installed properly. If you're able to identify which updates are at fault, then boot in safe mode and uninstall the culprit.
Like any software, updates can have installation errors.
They also may cause some conflicts with certain programs.
Yours is not the first problem caused by Windows updates, and won't be the last.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
I had that problem too, but I fixed it a different way
by 13yearoldgeek / April 15, 2005 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Look Here.

I had that problem with my computer and with my schools computer. I repaired windows using the windows CD( i upgraded) snd it worked fine. If your computer isnt upgraded, then I cant help you.

Collapse -
Reboot
by gmperry / April 16, 2005 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Look Here.

If you can get into safe mode, tru to uninstall the updates. See if your puter boots ok. If it does boot ok , goto windows update & install the ypdates one at a time, till you fond the one that caused the problem. Good Luck. Gordon

Collapse -
yup...
by Dick White / April 16, 2005 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Reboot

thanks. One major PITA with this one is that you can't even get into safe mode. Have to reinstall the OS (a 40 minute procedure) just to get it running at all. Then you need to bring it up to date, one update at a time until we find the one that causes the failure - which when we find it will still require another 40 minutes to reinstall the OS and finally we will know the one update that we must NOT install... until M$ fixes it or withdraws it...

dw

dw

Collapse -
Answer discovered
by Dick White / April 16, 2005 2:13 PM PDT

Hotfix number 890859 is the culprit. Another tech in Microsoft's own newsgroup has documented it as well. But I can't find any evidence that Microsoft itself has acknowledged it. The easier solution than my method of reinstalling is outlined here.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

So put out the word - turn off Automatic Updates, install updates manually and do not install # 890859. You may need to check the "hide this update" box so it doesn't get included again in future update cycles.

dw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!