HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Autocomplete

by eddie 2 / March 24, 2004 3:48 AM PST

my autocomplete box appears, and asks do you want autocomplete to remember username and password, i click yes,but when i submit the information at a later date, it hasent remembered anything at all.Also at the same time this problem started,i have a 20 second delay when i point at certain things on some websites before the action takes place. This is frustrating i have tried some tips of the web without any look.
98se

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Autocomplete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Autocomplete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Autocomplete + that delay is a known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2004 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Autocomplete
Collapse -
Re:Re:Autocomplete + that delay is a known issue.
by eddie 2 / March 24, 2004 5:18 AM PST

Thanks for the tips stopped the delay ,but still having problems with the autocomplete, still wont remember.

Collapse -
Clue please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2004 5:44 AM PST

What fixed your issue may reveal what direction to go.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Clue please.
by eddie 2 / March 25, 2004 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Clue please.

Did everything that microsoft support tells you to do delay stopped,but autocomplete still not remembering.The box appears, asks, click yes to remember, nothing when you return at alater date. I use to get a drop down box with various passwords i have used in the passed but now nothing.

Collapse -
Do you login?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2004 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Clue please.

To save such info, you have to be logged into Windows. Example. Using the Network tool in the Control Panel, I set the login type to Windows. When I log in, then such remembering will work. Remove this item and items won't remember.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Do you login?
by eddie 2 / March 25, 2004 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Do you login?

Changed the setting, no luck still the same.

Collapse -
Re:Autocomplete
by Cursorcowboy / March 25, 2004 3:43 AM PST

1. The PCMag article (second page) [AutoWhat? 2] explains that each input field in a Web-based form has an internal name that identifies the field to the system. When you submit the information in the form, IE records each input field's data in the Registry in a list associated with the particular field name. The next time you start typing in a field that has the same internal name, whether on the same Web page or a different one, IE will pop up a list of previous values that begin with the text you've typed up to that point. You can click on one of the items to select it, or press the Down Arrow to select it and press Enter. If you click in a blank input field and press the Down Arrow, IE will list all data associated with that field. Under Windows 9x (95/98/Me), the internal field names are visible in the Registry, but the data is encrypted.

2. For all versions of IE except in WinME, and I don't know why not, the article [Q160158] describes two methods of behavior which can occur if files in the Temporary Internet Files and History folders, to include the Index.dat file they contain that may become corrupted and how to deal with the situation for MSN, but regardless of whether the IE version used is the MSN or not, it still applies.

Collapse -
Autocomplete
by Nqs / March 28, 2004 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Autocomplete

Are you using any software to help you remember this? Also another "possible" option is that all your cookies have been deleted that save that information. Though it's more safe to not remember these password than do rememeber them so people can hack into your computer and find out all this information.

Collapse -
Re:Autocomplete
by eddie 2 / March 29, 2004 2:24 AM PST

yes your wright,been thinking about this over the weekend, its proberly better for me to remember them myself and be safe.still got the problem but, doesent affect me in any other way.

Collapse -
Re:Autocomplete?cookies
by eddie 2 / March 30, 2004 2:33 AM PST

Just a thought, i did delete my cookies a while back,how would i over come this.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Autocomplete?cookies
by CharleyO / April 1, 2004 11:59 AM PST

This is just my opinion, but, I find that cookies are not needed to go places on the internet. I delete each and everyone of them on my compter when I leave the internet including ones from places I regularly visit, such as this forum. Of course, each time I return to the internet, I get new cookies. Sites that you visit will put cookies on your computer each time you visit. So, there is no need to keep the old ones. Though most of them are quite small in size and harmless, over time these things can take up a lot of drive space ... plus there are bad cookies.

Some say that deleting cookies can slow down your "surfing" but I have not noticed this to be true on my computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.