HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Auto wake" from hibernation/standby not working

by kazekiri / June 4, 2004 7:19 PM PDT

This might be an application or hardware problem, but I'll post it here.

I just bought a TV tuner card (NEC SmartVision HG2/R) that includes software for recording and timer record. It has an option to automatically "wake up" from hibernation/standby just before it records a programmed record. I've followed the instructions for this, but my system won't automatically wake up from either hibernation or standby. I have hibernation enabled and I can put the computer in and out of hibernation mode manually without any problems.

The card also included a separate application that has an "auto wake" feature for downloading the program guide automatically while you're away. This one doesn't work either.

I'm pretty stumped. I don't understand how the PC is supposed to know when to wake up. It's not possible, is it? The troubleshooting guide said that there might be a bios option that I can change to fix this, but my bios doesn't have any options related to hibernation or standby mode.

Don't tell me I have to change something in the power options control panel. There aren't very many options in there and I've messed with every one of them. If anyone has any good ideas, please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Auto wake" from hibernation/standby not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Auto wake" from hibernation/standby not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:
by glb613 / June 4, 2004 8:42 PM PDT

I've had a lot of problems with hibernation causing errors and not working properly. I've also read many posts here from others who also have problems as well. My suggestion would be to not use the hibernation mode at all. Use standby, manually turn off the monitor and see if that works.

Collapse -
Re:Re:
by ereedks / June 4, 2004 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Yeah, in A+ and Windows 2000 Pro/Server classes both instructors told us not to use hibernation or standby unless you are dealing with a laptop. That is the reason these two modes were created in the first place, is to conserve battery power on a laptop. A workstation doesn't have a battery, thus there's no need to use it.

Collapse -
Re:
by Cursorcowboy / June 4, 2004 11:38 PM PDT

Perhaps this card isn't ready for prime time since I'm unfamiliar with it and the following are simply punts.

1. Set BIOS time-outs to the maximum time or disable them which allows the operating system (instead of the BIOS) to control time-outs since some APM BIOSs turn off or refuse to function if all time-outs are disabled. Perhaps the time-outs should be set to the maximum allowed time instead of disabled.

2. Turn off screen blanking in the BIOS. Typically to turn off screen blanking in the BIOS, disable the time-out for the display or set the time-out to the maximum value. Screen blanking reduces power to the display which causes the computer to appear to be shut down.

3. Note what the article [Q306458] states:

"Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) offers PowerNow! technology on AMD mobile Athlon 4 and mobile Duron processors and Windows XP the additional driver (the Amdk7.sys driver) to enable the AMD PowerNow! functionality.".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.