Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Auto update not working on XP home edition after virus

Hi. My laptop (running XP home edition - SP2) had a virus that stopped any app loading. This was cleared and subsequent AVG scans have come up clean. Problem is that auto updates now won't switch on. I've tried it through the control panel as it says but nothing. Performed a scan with malwarebytes anti-malware as was advised and this also came up clean.

Any suggestions please. Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto update not working on XP home edition after virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto update not working on XP home edition after virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which does beg the SP2 question.

In reply to: Auto update not working on XP home edition after virus

Given staying at SP2 does open the door to known exploits in this old OS, I always like to hear folk's reasons for not staying current. Well, 4 years ago it was out, so you've had plenty of time to get it done.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: auto update no longer working

Collapse -
Answer
Try repairing Windows Update ...

which was likely damaged by the malware.

This link guides you through the repair and should even offer a Microsoft FixIt repair option as well as the manual downloads of the Windows Updaqte Agent.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Collapse -
Unable to start the service

In reply to: Try repairing Windows Update ...

Thanks for that. I tried to run the windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe package as it suggested and that reported it failed.

Further down the page it reports a manual method of registering wups2.dll. After successfully registering tried to restart the service and it failed. Came back with error 2185, which the help guide reports is it tried to start a service that is not configured on this system.

Does this mean that whatever infected the machine has wiped out the whole service? Is a restore required?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Try the SOLVED link found with this google.

In reply to: Unable to start the service

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=wups2+error+2185

Here it hits the solved item in a XP forum. Looks like trojan damage to me.

BTW, this sort of damage can overtax the usual support and if you didn't save your files, and if you didn't save your files to 2 or more places you often read the owner lost it all.
Bob
Collapse -
SP2?

In reply to: Unable to start the service

Might wish to point out that Microsoft stopped supporting XP SP2 in all forms as of July 13, 2010.

Here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

Scroll down the page to see when SP2 support ended.

SP3 is needed before additional updates can be gotten for your system. Certainly, getting hit with an infection did not help you either.

Collapse -
Fixed

In reply to: SP2?

Collapse -
Glad

In reply to: Fixed

Glad you found the answer.

Too bad the OP in Bob's link in the other post did not know or was able to find this solution for this.

You can download the SP3 .exe file from here and save some time in updating this or any other machine you may have that is still at SP2 or earlier: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Disconnect from the internet for the duration of the SP3 install.

Put this file in a new folder you name and create on the root of the Windows drive. Turn off a/v and firewalls before starting, if third-party firewall, uninstall, as SP3 will update and make default the Windows Firewall. Conflict will arise if a third-party firewall is running. System will likely freeze or stall on reboot.

Disable firewall and reboot to ensure it is not running. Uninistall if third-party. Get new copy of firewall if third and disable Windows Firewall before installing. Reboot after disabling Windows Firewall. Reboot after installing third-party firewall.

Collapse -
Answer
be careful... backup completely before sp3

Be careful upgrading to sp3. It's best to clone the hard drive if possible first. There are computers that will crash on or after the update, or have other complications. Uninstalling sp3 to go back to sp2 does not clean it up completely.
Good news, most will survive the update. I've seen a few unrelated machines that didn't handle it well, and they were not completely fixable.
As for update, I've freshly installed XP sp2 on two older machines this year. I set automatic updates to tell me before installing anything. They don't seem to get any bites, not even from the old updates available in summer 2010. I suspect Microsoft disabled the online automatic updates from answering sp2 machines, to spite users who either can't or won't update to sp3. I'm going to attempt to manually download individual updates for them, looking at those already installed on other SP2 machines that are still around. I believe there were at least 104 or more security updates from automatic updates two years ago for sp2. Thanks Bill.
As for the expert above... if you have to use or support an older machine, vista and 7 may not be options as they demand huge ram, more disk space, and faster hardware.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.