Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Auto Shut-Off Possible?

by baddco / October 16, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

Hope this makes sense...I'm looking for a utility that will automatically shut off the PC ( runing XP Home SP-2 ) at say 10:00PM. And can not be overridden by switching users or rebooting. My wifes son...My step-son has a habit of staying up till 3am chatting completely forgetting about needing to be up in 3 hours for school. I've looked at some software available and am not convinced that he could beat the system by just switching accounts. Any input would be helpful. Maybe something that would only shut down selected programs...AIM..My Space and the like.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto Shut-Off Possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto Shut-Off Possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I also would like to
by Themisive / October 16, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

Have something like that for my son's computer. He says, I'll shut down in half-an-hour, and 2 - 3 hours later he's still at it.

The only trouble is that as far as I know there is nothing that could do that unlessthere is some sort of parental control that could be switched on in the O/S and passworded to prevent it being turned off.

Collapse -
PARENTAL CONTROL SOFTWARE such as...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 11:51 PM PDT
http://www.sentrypc.com/sentrypc.htm

While I would allow such on any machine I need to have fully functioning, this gives you time management and more.

But shutting off the PC's power is not a feature of any such add-on software because these are PCs and not designed to accomodate your request.

I could boot off some USB memory key and continue, but that's just me showing that such is not bulletproof.

Bob
Collapse -
Try parental control [hardware]
by caktus / October 17, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

Move the computer into Mon and Dad's room.

Collapse -
Turn Off Computer?
by kwkid / October 18, 2006 10:11 AM PDT

It sounds to me as if the connection to the internet is the real issue here. I have a 13 year old daughter who can use her PC anytime, but is regulated on the internet by the schedule in the router, currently set for 30 minutes per day weekdays, 2 hours on weeekends. I also have myspace.com totally blocked at the router so she can't get there at all anytime of the day or night. This works very well for our situation, and if by some chance she needs the internet to do some actual school work, she can use her Mom's computer, with supervision.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's great. But sometimes hard love is necesary.
by caktus / October 18, 2006 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Turn Off Computer?
Collapse -
If you have a Linksys wireless router
by glb613 / October 19, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

you can control the internet access for that computer. Go to the web based utility found at http://192.168.1.1/ then select access restrictions. Enter the computer's MAC address then select the days and times the computer can be online or not be online. I'm not sure how easy it is to break the password to access the utility but hopefully you kids can't.

You can also set time limits through XP.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_security_tips412.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.