Question

Auto play not working for Cd/DVD or USB

Hi, HP Compaq Presario Desktop PC running Windows 7
When I insert a CD/DVD disc, the auto play options box does not appear on screen, neither does the CD begin automatic play. To play it I have to go into media player.
Also when I plug a camera, card reader, or flash drive into the usb ports the auto play box does not appear. The "remove hardware safely" icon appears in the notification tray. If I click on this and select devices & printers, I can them browse the files and read them.
Conclusion the usb port is working ok and the devices are also working ok I just cant access them correctly via the autoplay.
Please can you help me to regain this access. Thanks for your time and efforts.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Auto play not working for Cd/DVD or USB
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Auto play not working for Cd/DVD or USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
"Default Programs"

Click on "START", go to "Default Programs", Change your Auto Play settings to Windows Media Player. Have it your default setting on all. Let me know if it works.
fatale49

- Collapse -
RE autoplay

Thanks for your quick response. Sorry it didnt work. I set the default to wmp for CD DVD and Burn CD
The three other catagories did not have a wmp option as they relate to files and photos.
Set one as Install or run programme from your media and the other two as open window to view files using windows explorer.

Cheers Margaret

- Collapse -
Sorry

Did you set WMP in the " Set your default programs" which is separate from the auto play selections?

- Collapse -
Have You Done This yet??

Click on Start, type: "Autoplay", then select "Autoplay" from the list. When the Autoplay panel loads, make sure to place a CHECK mark in the box in the upper left which says: "Use autoplay for all media and devices", then make sure each one of the devices listed there is correct. Once you've done all that, click on the "Save" button in the lower right.

And if that doesn't get it done, then troubleshoot the issue using the link below:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-windows-7-autoplay-dialog-box-missing-or-not-appear-display-and-pop-up/

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums