General discussion

Auto Focus Malfunction

I have a Nikon D40 that has worked like a dream for the past three years at least. Recently however when on auto focus it does not respond. This is an intermittent problem ie sometimes OK sometimes not. Someone has suggested that it might be dust in the sensor. Is this easily solved by me or do I have to take it into a camera store to be done?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Auto Focus Malfunction
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Auto Focus Malfunction
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This blog will help you out
- Collapse -
auto focus on D40

Have you cleaned the contacts on the lens mount? I have the D60 and those electrical/data contacts can get dirty. Try gently cleaning them. I have read where gunk can build up on those. My D60 is 2+ years old, but so far no problems like that. Good luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info