Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

auto detect cd pop up window

by eddie11013 / September 9, 2007 6:41 AM PDT

Trying to help my sister on her computer. She has an HP windows me system. Question, when I put in a cd in my windows xp computer, a screen automatically "comes up" asking you what do you want to do, play, open, etc. Does windows me have the same thing? And if so, how do you activate it? Obviously, when I put in a cd into her computer, nothing happens. I have to go to "My Computer", select the drive and then select a 'song' and then select play. I have to believe something is broken.
Thanks for any suggestions or advice,
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: auto detect cd pop up window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: auto detect cd pop up window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This varies with whoever tinkered with this OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 7:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by eddie11013 / September 9, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

I think I already checked that, but don't remember, I was trying so many things. Anyway, next time I go to her house, I'll check it out and maybe that business about an updated driver, though I doubt that "part" will yield any results.
Thanks again,
Eddie

Collapse -
beginning step ' Auto Insert Notification' - already set
by eddie11013 / September 12, 2007 8:46 AM PDT

I turned it off, rebooted, tried it again, and then turned it on again, rebooted again and tried it again, but it still did not work.

I saw the previous post, regarding: "Does the CDRW drive show in the BIOS?If so, boot SAFE MODE and head to the device manager. Now remove all the CD drives listed. On reboot if the drive is connected and working it will be detected by Windows and may cure itself." I will try this the next time I go over. I did manage to find a driver, mitsumi cr-48x5te, but I'm not 100% sure its the right one: http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/drivers/81/81266.htm So this might be my last step.

Another question, her machine also has a DVD player, I stuck a "audio" CD in that drive, but again, nothing happen. Is this normal for Windows Me? I noticed my win XP will give me a pop-up to make my selection. (When I put a CD into the DVD player).
Thanks for any guidance, Bob

Collapse -
After you have AIN enabled you get to work on AUTOPLAY.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2007 9:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Enabling AutoPlay
by eddie11013 / September 12, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

Actually, I had already tried those steps, but I ran into a problem. It would 'not' let me: "Once set make sure this action is the Default". When I would click on 'play', that option, to set as the default, was grayed out. Maybe this is where the 'real' problem lies??? I also looked at the steps mentioned regarding changes in the 'registry', "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" if present and change the value to "95 00 00 00", but they were already set.
Thanks again Bob

Collapse -
Flip it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2007 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Enabling AutoPlay

If an item is not settable to default I set another and then go back to that one.

I forget to mention that some drivers people find for CDROM devices can break autorun. Especially those CDRW as a disk drive softwares. I can't guess if you have such.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!