Computer Help forum

General discussion

auto complete

I am using internet explorer 6.0, with the auto complete feature for web addresses turned on. Is there a way to clear individual entries from the auto complete findings? I know that I can delete the entire list.....how can I remove a specific item?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: auto complete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: auto complete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: auto complete

In reply to: auto complete

hold mouse over any entry and press the delete key

Collapse -
Re: auto complete

In reply to: Re: auto complete

I tried just hitting delete. unfortunately, it doesn't work.

Collapse -
''WDYM''?

In reply to: Re: auto complete

1. The article [Q217148] describes how to use the Autocomplete feature turned on by default for Web addresses and commands or folder names in IE, and the functionality of this feature.

2. The PCMagazine article (second page) [AutoWhat? 2] explains that each input field in a Web-based form has an internal name that identifies the field to the system, and under Windows 9x (95/98/Me), the internal field names are visible in the Registry, but the data is encrypted. Under Windows NT (NT 4.0/2000/XP), even the field names are inaccessible.

Note: The PC Magazine Utility Library is now available by subscription only. For just $19.97 (or $14.97 if you're a current subscriber to PC Magazine's print or digital edition), subscribers get full access for 12 months, including: great new files and updates throughout the year -- usually one per month -- access to all 130+ useful, smart utilities in the Library, and technical support.

3. Features or options which may be applied is located in the Main menu of IE by clicking Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab:

a. Use inline AutoComplete for Web addresses - specifies whether to complete entries when a Web addresses is typed in the Address bar based on entries used previously.

b. Use inline AutoComplete in Windows Explorer - specifies whether to complete entries when typing file names, paths, or folders in the Address bar or Run dialog box based on entries previously used. For example, when typing E:\Public\project1\t, in the Address bar, AutoComplete will probably suggest "E:\Public\project1\templates."

Note: Something to consider if anomalies are still present when using the Autocomplete functions is whether corruption exists in any of the following areas. For all versions of IE except Windows Millennium and I don't know why not, the article [Q160158] describes two methods of behavior which can occur if files in the Temporary Internet Files and History folders, to include the Index.dat file they contain, which may become corrupted and how to deal with the situation for MSN, but regardless of whether the IE version used is the MSN or not, it still applies.

(1) The Address toolbar in IE, Windows Explorer, or on the Windows desktop or taskbar

(2) The Open box in the Run dialog box accessed from the Start menu, or the Open dialog box accessed from the File menu in IE

(3) Forms (including user names and passwords on forms) on Web pages

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Improve Browsing Performance in Internet Explorer (Q153790)."

Note: Disable the AutoComplete feature for forms and passwords

b. "Delayed Response When Editing Internet Explorer Forms and Outlook Express May Take a Long Time to Start (Q251787)."

c. "Do a Backup of AutoComplete URL Entries in Internet Explorer 5.0 (Q255072)."

d. "Names of Previously Opened and Saved Files Appear in Typical Windows Explorer-Style Dialog Boxes in Windows XP (Q32294Cool."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.