Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Auto check

by tomron / March 18, 2005 11:55 AM PST

When I start the computer the screen turns black and says auto check not found-skipping auto check.Then finishes booting up.OS W2K

Thanx,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto check
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto check
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tom, Is This A Question?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: Auto check

Autocheck.exe/Autochk.exe is the boot-time version of Chkdsk. It causes an automatic check of each partition. If it's missing, you could get the error....OR...if the partition is damaged...maybe.

Can you start the computer in normal Windows? If not, have you tried using the "Last Known Good" option when you boot?:

How to load last known good configuration.

Are you using Partition Magic on that machine...It could be causing an issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by tomron / March 18, 2005 12:44 PM PST

Can you start the computer in normal Windows? Yes

have you tried using the "Last Known Good" option when you boot?:Yes,but to no avil

Are you using Partition Magic on that machine, No

Any ideas on how to solve this.

Thanx,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, It's Normally A Partition Issue..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Grif

..do you have multiple partitions? Have you reinstalled or restored Windows 2000 on the machine recently? Either way, maybe the link below will help..Although it's about XP, you might be able to gain some information about the problem:

Autochk Program Not Found

If you've ever used partitioning software on the computer, maybe the link below will help. Scroll down and read the possible fix by "Mapleleaf", but make sure that you're seeing the same error.:

Microsoft: Windows 2000 Professional - XMNT2002 error message AutoCheck Program Not Found ...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif
by tomron / March 19, 2005 7:30 AM PST

.do you have multiple partitions? I don,t know how many I have.

Have you reinstalled or restored Windows 2000 on the machine recently? No.

In first link you provided: The individual seems to have an additional issue (safe mode issue)

The second link you provided:I have not used partitioning software.

This just happned all of a sudden.The computer starts normal.then the screen turns black with blue borders and says autocheck prgram not found-skipping autocheck.
then continues to boot normally.

Thanx,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, And Did You Try Uninstalling....?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Grif
Collapse -
Grif
by tomron / March 19, 2005 8:25 AM PST

I tried google,but to no avil.

I found 824105 in add/remove,but it has the letters KB in it.
When I try to remove it I get a list of programs and it states if I remove this,they might not work.Should I remove this anyway?

Tom

Collapse -
Tom, Yep, That's The One..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2005 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Grif

..Try uninstalling it..

As I suggested earlier, did you check out the post by Mapleleaf which provided the registry fix..Here is the actual post and procedures that are at that link:

Let's run through making a reg file. Find an Empty area on your desktop. Righ-click and choose "new" and then "text document". It will create an icon on your desktop with "new..." highlighted. Hit backspace and type PM.REG
The key here is the .REG extention. Hit Enter and choose OK.

Now highlight ALL the text below BETWEEN the Cut Here lines. Right-click and choose copy. Go to the Desktop. Right-click on the PM.REG icon and choose Edit. Paste the text. Go to the Top Right corner and click close. Double-click on the icon and answer Yes. Reboot. Delete the PM.REG icon.

Ian

--------------- Cut Here -------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a,\
--------------- Cut Here -------------------------

Ian

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Did you follow the advice to check...
by Edward ODaniel / March 20, 2005 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Grif

and if necessary edit your registry that was offered within the second link Griff Provided? You seem to have keyed on the partitioning aspect and missed the rest (including the quick fix reg file offered).

This is a common issue and can be caused by third party partitioning, spyware that messes the registry, or even as simple as loading another OS.
It can even be user induces by mistake with the wrong switch (a typo) when using CHKDSK.

Open REGEDT32 and go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree. Within it find \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager (note that Session Manager is 2 words here, NOT the single word SessionManager which is a different key) in the right pane you will find BootExecute. Change its data value to autocheck autochk *

NOTE: If you use REGEDIT instead the proper data value would be:
61 75 74 6f 63 68 65 63 6b 20 61 75 74 6f 63 68 6b 20 2a 00 00

Someone in that second link of Griff's even provided a REG file to make it even easier.

Here is a link to many of the common problems with chkdsk and although the error some show is different, the cure is the same.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I appreciate everyones help
by tomron / March 20, 2005 7:26 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?