TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

authorized VS unauthorized audio sales question

by mouseglue / January 19, 2007 7:47 AM PST

I was wondering if there is anybody out there that can tell me why(FOR EXAMPLE):you can buy Escient Fireball MX-111 music server from an on-line "authorized dealer" with absolutely NO discount but can purchase it on-line from a "non-authorized" seller for a good $500.00 LESS ?
I notice non-authorized dealers usually can't / don't show a picture of the product on their sites. Is it something shady?...Or is it just a factory - honoring warranty issue of some sort??
The sites offering the substantial discounts claim that the products are all factory new and sealed.
Any input would be appreciated. thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: authorized VS unauthorized audio sales question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: authorized VS unauthorized audio sales question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Riverledge / January 19, 2007 9:44 AM PST

SOME WEB-SITES deal in the grey/black markets;, with no warranties, or customer sevices.

Like playing Russian roulette.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / January 20, 2007 8:51 AM PST

ORDERS. My favourites include J&R Electronics/Computers of NYC; VANN'S of Montana, B&H PHOTO of NYC, and CRUTCHFIELD'S (little pricey)
of New York. All are highly respected; and have decent customer service. Offhand try

Do yourself a favour and deal with an authorized source!!!

Best wishes, riverledge.

Collapse -
Grey market
by sirroundsound / January 19, 2007 10:47 AM PST

they cannot show pictures because they are not authorized to sell the product, thus are not allowed to show it.
You have to be careful.
Some places are sort of legit, they may not be authorized, but they are buying the goods from some other retailler or distribution and just trying to make a quick buck. You will get what you pay for, but shouldn't expect service, and in the event of problems you may be out of luck.
Others are out to either scam you or switch you to a product that they make good money on. It's easy to say I can sell you something for an unheard of price. I get your money, and OOOps the product is out of stock, or unavailable at this time, But wait... I have another great deal on product X that will sound like it's even better than the deal you were going to get. You get pressured into making a quick decsion, no time to research, and suddenly they have your money, and have made a great deal on their end, you get stuck with something you really didn't want.
Now you say that won't happen to you, maybe not, but if that is what they are up to, you can also bet if you don't buy into the scam and just want your money back, it will take forever to get things reversed.

Check into the company before you buy....

Collapse -
grey market
by mouseglue / January 19, 2007 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Grey market

Just wanted to thank you all for the replies. Sounds like it's more than worth the extra cash buying from a reputable,well-known dealer on the web.My luck is horrible from the a "screwing" would be just around the corner! Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Agreeing with river & sirround, I might add
by NM_Bill / January 19, 2007 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Grey market

Motive is an unknown. Perhaps not outright dishonesty present, but surely greed. Heck, some makers are just winking as they half-heartedly pretend to play the game of protecting their authorized dealers. Good authorized dealers may be small. They may work hard to educate & represent the goods & need to keep solid margin. When greedy, makers can unload huge quantities for millions, & hey, they've moved goods quickly.

Through shipment records & the ability to create variations, different model numbers & certainly serial numbers, makers can usually tell where the flow came from. If serial numbers were filed off or altered, you know no US warranty will be extended.

The WWW has made international contacts easy. Could I find, say, a Singapore distributor of goods intended for the Asian market, perhaps made to lesser standards because of international price pressures, willing to ship me thousands of units for a quick sale? Heck yeah. Well, at least probably. Substantial money & just some mental ability helps.

When young I took a couple chances. Like a typewriter with one page xeroxed English instructions (Japanese - at least I think) was enclosed. Service? Not a chance. Anything I might be more inclined than others to chance? Yeah, maybe like a Canon camera as they're rather clear cut, identifiable & relatively free from disasterous operation failures.

Then there's categories like "B" stock, blems, refurbs. Do you really know what you're getting? Often not. There is legitimate & otherwise.

And always, who are you dealing with? Try to conceal their real location? Cheap rental storefront somewhere around Brooklyn? Don't take chances on strangers any more than naive faith about anything & everything on the internet. A slim chance of me sticking my neck out of any dealer without solid customer feedback on places like, Amazon, epinions or Sorry that leaves out anyone brand new to the business, but they've absolutely no track record.

It's still a let the buyer beware world. Risk is real. Sound too good to be true? Well...

Collapse -
interesting find...
by mouseglue / January 19, 2007 6:25 PM PST

In digging deeper ,I came upon this peice of info on the ESCIENT website:
Q. How are Escient products sold?
A. Escient sells products through authorized Specialty Dealers and Distributors. This insures that our customers receive the best information and service available for the design, installation and support of the products. Any purchase from sources other than authorized Dealers or Distributors will void the warranty.

Hardly worth the savings of getting the product at a discount!
thanks again for all the great input. Greatly appreciated!!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?