Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Australia-teaching religion in schools?

by jonah jones / November 27, 2009 6:51 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Australia-teaching religion in schools?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Australia-teaching religion in schools?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slight variant from the topic but
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2009 7:35 PM PST

I'd like to think it possible to teach the roll of religion as it relates to history in a fashion that can avoid the suspicion of it being subtle indoctrination. Religion is definitely woven deeply into the ethic of the human race. It's often been the center of confrontation but, just as often, been used as an alibi for the cause of war and other evil doings. I don't know how it could be possible to avoid personal bias from being written into such a curriculum, however.

Collapse -
I don't know how it could be possible
by jonah jones / November 27, 2009 8:59 PM PST

to avoid personal bias

exactly.....

one post that caught my eye contained:

#We do, however, think it's ridiculous considering some of the stories coming home about the lady saying that a man and woman have to be married (pity the poor kid who now thinks his parents are sinners for either a) not being married or b) not being a man and woman). I do think if they are going to teach, they do need to keep in mind that times have changed and, although this may be the word of the bible, to express it to a six year old in such black and white terms is a little unhealthy#

so we have personal bias influencing the teaching?

Collapse -
In the case of teaching about what Christians believe
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2009 11:06 PM PST

it would require a huge committee to not slight any who claim to be such. And from that committee, I'm thinking only a page of text could be agreed upon...if that. The course would be a short one. Wink

Collapse -
Good
by C1ay / November 27, 2009 8:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Ain't gonna happen ...
by Bill Osler / November 28, 2009 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Good

The fundamental problem, regardless of where you stand on religious issues, is that there is no viable way to choose the curriculum. Your TED link was entertaining but I think he does not really understand the issues involved well enough.

FWIW: I don't disagree with teaching information about comparative religion, but there is NO WAY it can be done in a way that is entirely 'factual' without offending MAJOR segments of the population. There are too many 'facts' on which there is less than widespread agreement. Furthermore, study of 'religion' in the sense that most secular folks find acceptable has inherent anti-faith bias.

Collapse -
I know it won't
by C1ay / November 28, 2009 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Ain't gonna happen ...

It would be a very hard ideology to implement. I think one of the hardest selling points would be convincing parents that their children should learn what their religion DOES NOT advocate and what others do. It's not just religion either. There is a great deal of cultural hatred passed down which infects our society and convincing those that foster it, that they are doing so, is another hard ideology to implement. People just don't want to hear that they are part of the problem and parents inherently want to think that they are right even when they are wrong.

Collapse -
(NT) Poli-sci isn't exactly taught without suspicions
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2009 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Good
Collapse -
Good post.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 8:27 PM PST

I love the Ozzie sense of humor, eg "Fortunately, our church had in-built entertainment in the form of an alter boy who was a sandwich short of a picnic."

It does make me wonder though at the husband's stance. Was he born an atheist, or did he choose to become one when he was older? Did he attend any religious classes when he was at school, or did he, his father or mother, prevent him from doing so? I suspect he made up his own mind, and if so, why would he want to influence his son's?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.