Computer Help forum

General discussion

Audio through DVI->HDMI w/ 8800GT

Hi i recently purchased the Samsung 5 series (LN40A550) which has a PC inpute w/rca and 3 hdmi ports. i also purchased a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my PC to it. So i connected my pc to the TV along with an RCA cable but i got no sound. i do get sound though if use a vga (pc input) but no sound when i use the DVI to HDMI. i saw this article on a forum explaining how its possible to get sound through dvi. is this possible? can you help me?

Here is the thread (instructions are at the buttom)
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/589259

I followed the instructions but i still get no sound.

MY PC:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.33Ghz
MSI G33M motherboard with onboard sound (realtek)
BFG GeForce 8800GT Dual DVI + S-video
2GB Ram

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio through DVI->HDMI w/ 8800GT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio through DVI->HDMI w/ 8800GT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not possible

In reply to: Audio through DVI->HDMI w/ 8800GT

It's not possible, because DVI is video only, and HDMI is just DVI + Audio + a bunch of anti-piracy garbage that does nothing to prevent piracy but does jack up the cost of the cables and devices.

Your only real hope is a DVI to HDMI adapter that also has some kind of audio inputs. No idea if such a thing exists or not. It might in the form of an expensive adapter box instead of a simple adapter like a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Outside of that, I'd say you're pretty well screwed. If you use an HDMI input, the device is going to be expecting the audio signal to come from the HDMI port. So, unless the device in question allows you to configure an alternate input source for audio with an HDMI connection, I once again have to say, you're pretty well screwed.

Collapse -
HDMI audio

In reply to: Not possible

I have a laptop with an HDMI connection. When I connect it to my 550 I get great video but no audio. What do I have to do so that both work?

Collapse -
What laptop and WHAT APPLICATION?

In reply to: HDMI audio

Collapse -
What laptop and WHAT APPLICATION?

In reply to: What laptop and WHAT APPLICATION?

I have a new HP dv16 laptop and I was trying to use the laptop as a DVD player on the Samsung TV. After the initial problem of that not working, I tries some other apps and none of them gave me audio on the TV. The laptop played the sounds, but of course they were not loud enough for us all to hear well.

Collapse -
So that leaves us with

In reply to: What laptop and WHAT APPLICATION?

Trying to find what application is in use.

I offered a picture to show where WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER must be set to output sound to HDMI. Since you can't tell what application is being used then all I can offer is this.

Look at your APPLICATION's MENUS to see where it sets the output to go.
Bob

Collapse -
disabling HDMI audio

In reply to: HDMI audio

I connected by NVidea GTX285 to my 550 via and HDMI cable with a DVI adapter. I also plugged in an RCA cable for sound (like the manual suggests). Unfortunately, I was not getting any sound. I knew that all I had to do was disable to audio signal to the HDMI cable. But that section on my video card was "greyed out" on the control panel.

But I found a solution:
(1) instead of plugging the HDMI cable into HDMI/DVI 2, I plugged it right into HDMI1
(2) what that did was inverted the monitors, making it impossible to view the screen from the computer monitor.
(3) however, I could see the control panel on the TV and the disable/enable option was accessible (no longer "greyed out").
(3.5) This isn't a big deal if the computer and TV are in the same room. Unfortunately that wasn't case for me.
(4) While I watched the TV, I had my wife move the mouse while I told her where to move it and when the left-click and press enter, etc.
(5) after she disable to the sound to the HDMI cable, I plugged the cable back into the HDMI/DVI 2 port
(6) everything worked perfectly with sound running through the RCA cable.

Collapse -
Excuse me!

In reply to: Not possible

What you said about DVI that it is Video only is not true.
My new desktop has no problem with audio to the TV (DVI-HDMI connector --> HDMI Cable --> TV HDMI input)
But i tried with my older desktop and then it does not work... Is it cause of the graphicscard? (XFX GeForce 8800 GT) Please someone help me?
(ps my new desktop has the ASUS GTX 460)

I apologise for my crappy english (i'm Dutch Silly )

Collapse -
Well discussed.

In reply to: Excuse me!

Collapse -
Yes it is

In reply to: Excuse me!

Yes it is, the DVI spec does not provide for audio. Some video card makers will route audio over the unused pins and then a special adapter can be used, but this is NOT part of the DVI spec, and so it's not something you can rely on every card supporting. Particularly older cards.

Collapse -
Greystone and update

In reply to: Yes it is

correct. If the card supports it, then you wouldn't have any sound issues. If it does not, then you have to co into your graphics card and turn off the digital audio for that DVI-HDMI port. Then run your sound some other way (like through an RCA cable).

An update. I posted back in Jan 2011 (see above). Since it's football season again I tried to watch a football game from my computer to my Samsung. But no sound. Everything I did in January was still set up, but nothing. Other than pulling cable and re-running an RCA cable to make sure my RCA isn't bad (b/c TV"s in another room) I'm not sure what to do. So I said "forget it" and I'm just watching if on my monitor.

weird!

Collapse -
This 2008 discussion is now closed.

In reply to: Audio through DVI->HDMI w/ 8800GT

Let's hope the OP found a solution by now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.