General discussion

Audio skip on url click

When I play mp3's my audio skips for 2-3 seconds everytime I click a link.No harm no foul but this is extremely annoying.I 'm thinking it's probably something basic but I can't figure it out to save my life. I have win98,Dell Dim v333c,288kb ram,333mhz pro,dsl@584kbps,quintessential player and an old aztech 2320 audio card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
jbh

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Audio skip on url click
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Audio skip on url click
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What are you saying?

Are you clicking on a link in a web site to play these mp3's?

Or are you playing an mp3 in the background, and surfing the internet at the same time?

If it is the latter, then I suspect it is because you have a very low specification computer. 288KB Ram is unusually low. Is that right or do you mean 288MB Ram?

A 333Mhz processor will struggle to do more than one action at a time. So, either you play music and do nothing else, or surf the internet and do nothing else.

I don't know about the sound card, but if it is old, without any onboard Ram then it will be using the processor and system Ram to play the mp3, and that will slow down anything else.

I think it's time you got your savings out for a newer machine, Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for your input. My mistake, I have 288mb of ram and your right , I do need a newer system but it does what I ask it to do.I bought this dinosaur for 150 and never had the skip problem.By the way the mp3's are running in the background on Qintessential player.Anyway, I could be online surfin' AND running Limewire and listen to mp3 player all at once without any skip problems. It is just recently that the audio started skipping. I also noticed that the "ta-da" on start up skips during boot-up.Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
JBH

- Collapse -
Could be a sound card about to fail

But have you checked for any viruses and spyware?

Also, have you done a Scan Disk, and Disk Defragment lately?

Computer housekeeping and disk management may help, but personally I think that the Old Dear is just getting a little tired................

Does she have funeral insurance? Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) re install card and drivers.
- Collapse -
sound card

REefurb, thanks for the help. I reinstalled the sound card and eveything is back to normal.Sorry for the lapse,been busy,thanks again.

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info