HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Audio Problems Due to SoundMax Uninstallation

by 497097 / May 12, 2009 4:43 AM PDT

THE PROBLEM:

I recently and unwittingly uninstalled my SoundMax program that I assume was my sound driver. As such I can no longer receive audio from my speakers, and the speakers themselves are not recognized by XP.

FACTS:

The speakers themselves, by my judgement, are Logitech Z-3e speakers, bought several years ago and working perfectly until this point. They are connected correctly.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, with the latest updates.

WMP gives me the message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device"

In WMP, under Sync--->Options--->Speaker Properties, the speaker is listed as "Default DirectSound Device" and there is no other option.

In Audio Device Properties, there is apparently no audio device.

I visited the logitech site for a new sound driver, as XP Help reccomended, at the following site:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/439/316&hub=1&selectedcrid=409&selectedcid=316&cl=ca,en

There are, however, no provided downloads.

I do not have a system restore point that will allow me to reverse these changes.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:

In the device manager, there is no audio device listed, only codecs and Legacy Drivers.

I have tried scanning for new hardware, and my computer has "found" a new audio device, but also encounters an error before the speakers can be recognized.

Several attempts to re-download SoundMax from various safe sites have been unsuccessful - usually the installer encounters an error and simply quits.

How can I resolve this issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Problems Due to SoundMax Uninstallation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Problems Due to SoundMax Uninstallation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You Need Audio Device Drivers, NOT Logitech Drivers
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 8:33 AM PDT

The speakers are irrelevant as any speakers can be connected to the audio card and they will work.. What IS important is the type of audio card you have.. SoundMax devices are generally intergrated sound devices but the correct drivers will depend on the motherboard or possible the brand and model number of the specific computer.. Since you can't see the specific audio device listed in Device Manager, do you have a specific brand name and model number of the computer.. Or if a home-built machine, do you have the motherboard name and model number.

On the other hand, if you've got a separate sound card, opening the computer and checking the card make an model number should help you find the drive as well.

Or, if your computer came with recovery discs or a driver/resource CD, that also might contain the correct audio driver.

Incorrect drivers will frequently stall out as you've been seeing in your previous attempts to install the driver.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for the response!
by 497097 / May 15, 2009 12:52 AM PDT

Can you give me any hints as to find the information you want? Using My Computer--->Properties, I can tell you it's an MDG Intel Pentium 4.

How would I locate any additional information that you would like?

I tried using the old XP disk, but apparently it cannot be used because I'm using a newer version of XP - SP3.

Collapse -
Hints Must Come From You
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 15, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

First, an XP disc doesn't contain the sound driver you need.. IF you've got a driver CD that came with the computer, then the driver will be on that CD..

As was asked before, in order to identify the specific driver needed, you'll need to give us the make and model of the computer.. You now stated that it's an MDG brand computer but which model? They have names like Horizon, Vision, Apton, Stealth? Laptop or desktop? Have you checked the MDG site for the correct sound device download? Have you contacted them for a recovery disc which would contain the correct drivers?

http://www.mdg.ca/en/support/servicefaq/

Since you stated there is no specific device listed in the Device Manager/Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section (probably a yellow exclamation point), then you may need to identify the sound device some other way.. If it's a separate card, take the cover off the computer and physically look at the card to identify the name of the card. If it's not a separate card, then you'll need to identify the motherboard model and see which onboard card is supplied with that motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Excellent!
by 497097 / May 20, 2009 6:17 AM PDT

The link you posted eventually lead to a useful document that pointed me in the right direction. After scouring Intel for a little while, I located the proper driver and the problem has been fixed.

Thanks a lot for the help. It's very noble of you guys to help those that are less computer literate - keep up the good work!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.