Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Audio Port problem

by Tjaitil / June 9, 2014 7:32 PM PDT

HI !

My audio port works in that way that I need to have my headset jack in the right positions to get sound in both ears.
Tried the headset with my iphone and it worked perfectly. Does anyone know what the problem might be ? And is it a big/expensive reparation?

Regards

Tjaitil has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Port problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Port problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Tjaitil

Collapse -
It depends
by Jimmy Greystone / June 9, 2014 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Audio Port problem

It depends on if the location of the port, but if it's on the back of the computer, or we're talking about a laptop, there's about a 99% chance you're looking at having to replace the entire motherboard to fix this. If it's a front port on a desktop case, you might be able to find someone with the same model computer on ebay or craigslist, selling the computer for parts and buy just the front i/o panel off them.

The problem is that inside the jack itself there are little pins that connect to the colored grooves on the part of the headset you plug in and sometimes those get bent out of position -- usually because you've been plugging/unplugging the headphones at an angle or have been overly aggressive plugging/unplugging -- so they don't make contact like they're supposed to. So, if you're willing to risk making things worse, you can try digging around inside the jack itself to get the pin back into place, but as I said, you're more likely to make things worse than better. You're risking sending a static charge through a port connected directly to the motherboard, unless we're talking a front i/o panel. Those are typically a pain to replace and generally they're considered part of the case not an independent component so you can't even get a place to send you just the i/o panel as part of a warranty claim or anything.

Collapse -
THanks
by Tjaitil / June 10, 2014 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends

I can see myself being to agressive when plugging in headsets. The audio port is on the left side, forgot to specify that sorry.

Collapse -
Answer
This is why many use USB audio "cards".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2014 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Audio Port problem

I don't think card is the right word but for under 10 bucks here, we can plug this in, no drivers to install and we are done. Link follows.
Bob

-> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ (yes these come and go in and out of stock.)

Collapse -
Thank you
by Tjaitil / June 10, 2014 12:15 AM PDT

Thank you so much ! I think if i search around i will find someone who sells this Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.