Question

Audio outputs on a G5 Power Mac

I have been trying to connect my G5 Power Mac to my stereo .
I have tried 2 ways so far :-
1 . using USB ( using a Griffin iMic )
2 . using the speaker output .

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Audio outputs on a G5 Power Mac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Audio outputs on a G5 Power Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
The optical output

The optical output should be the same as the speaker output, but unless your stereo has a Toslink/optical connector, don't bother. You'd need a reasonably expensive converter device. Because as the name suggests, the signal is converted to a series of optical pulses, not electronic like an RCA style plug.

And if you're getting distortion using the analog stereo output, then you should just try turning the volume down on the Mac. Also maybe try turning down the overall amplification level of the EQ settings in iTunes.

- Collapse -
Thank you Jimmy ,

thanks you Jimmy .
I have tried a number of ways to connect to my stereo system .
It is a Panasonic SA-PT550 DVD Home Threater Surround Sound player with Amp . .
and it has 3 ways of connecting Audio to it
1. Aux input RCA line level ...
2. P-Player stereo mini jack input ...
3. Optical input ..

- Collapse -
Your friend MAY be right

Your friend MAY be right, but it really just kind of depends on if the adapter is defective or not. Every time you have some kind of an adapter or converter, some part of the signal is going to be lost, that's just unavoidable. Now 99.9999999999999999999999% of us are not aurally sensitive enough, and/or just don't care that much, about the rather minute amount of signal loss.

Of course the other risk you take with these adapters, is that there's one more link in the chain to break, and one more thing you have to try and isolate and test when things go wrong. So I'm of the KISS mentality on this sort of thing. The fewer adapters the better. If you absolutely need one for some reason or another... Fine, but they should be kept to a minimum.

But why do you need iTunes to be messing with the EQ when you've got a home theater receiver that has a full fledged DSP chip that will likely do a far better job than iTunes could ever hope to? That might even be part of your problem, is that the receiver is expecting the output to be the nominal signal, no post-processing, then it does it's own post-processing, and things don't go so well.

Whatever the case, screw iTunes' EQ, let your receiver work its magic. The resulting audio will likely be considerably better. And if you can do optical to and from, as you apparently can, even better, because then you have less signal loss from electrical resistance along the length of the cable like you have with analog cables pushing a signal over a copper wire. The amount of signal lost over optical should be virtually zero. Even better than that, is it's a digital delivery system. So you don't have the signal being converted from digital to analog, sent over the wire, then converted back to digital from analog, just to be converted to analog again as it goes to the individual speakers. It can stay in a purely digital form until it gets sent to the speakers. Every conversion results in a little quality loss, and so the more data the receiver has to work with, the better the resulting sound. You shouldn't need to be a big audiophile to detect a subtle difference between the two.

- Collapse -
Distortion not the problem ...

thanks Jimmy
I understand what you are saying , as I some experience in Audio .
Having worked in the the music industry for over 25 years as sound engineer in live production .

- Collapse -
Don't bother with ebay

Don't bother with ebay. Seriously. Monoprice.com is where you want to go for all your cable needs. Even if you wanted the "premium" cable, you could get 100ft for about $35 after shipping. And Monoprice's cables are pretty high quality. For 35ft, you'd be looking at only a little over $10 after shipping, for the "premium" stuff. Let some other sucker pay about 3X too much.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

And no, I do not work for them, own stock, or have any ties to the company besides being a pretty satisfied customer.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the tip ...

Yeah had a look at that site .
the prices are great ...
but shipping costs to Australia are a little high
a 50 ft cable cost $34.95 just for the postage .
plus $8.30 or $13.12 for a premium cable .
as the guy on ebay is offering Free postage ..,
15m = 29.95
20m = 34.95

- Collapse -
Ah...

Ah, yes, I sometimes forget that Canada, Australia, and I believe New Zealand, among a few other small African nations, use the same currency symbol. In any case, I'd still be a bit leery of buying something off someone on ebay. Most of the time, the deals really are too good to be true. You may pay a bit more buying it somewhere else, but you're generally assured that if it's a piece of junk, you can take it back.

CNET Forums