TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

audio output problems

by timmycraig / April 8, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

my 10 year old Sony home theater receiver only has one
set of audio/video input jacks. But I want to connect my dvd player and my vcr. So
I bought a monster brand splitter for the audio in jack on the receiver,
then connected both the dvd and vcr. Video feed is fine for each (my new hd tv
has three inputs for peripherals), and the sound is fine with the vcr.
However, the sound for the dvd is so muted you have to turn the volume on
the receiver way up just to barely hear it. If I disconnect the vcr audio
cables from the splitter the sound is just fine for the dvd. Did adding the
splitter impact the impedence of the jack? Am I asking too much of
technology to have normal volume levels with both peripherals? Any thoughts?
Thanks. --TL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: audio output problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: audio output problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder what cable you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: audio output problems

Some have tried splitters which are OK but if you used a splitter as a "joiner" then your issue could be dire since you are shorting out the DVD output and it's drivers are likely to expire someday.

Let's see that model number so I can check what you did.

Bob

Collapse -
reply to Bob
by timmycraig / April 8, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

the sony receiver is an STR-D-350Z. tried to split the audio in with a pair of Monster A YM2F-B adapters. ran 1 meter monster standard interlink 100 cables between the dvd player and the receiver. Thanks. --Tim

Collapse -
"Male-to-two-female RCA Y-adapter lets you split....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to Bob

"Male-to-two-female RCA Y-adapter lets you split audio signal"

Sorry that's not a signal "joiner" and you should remove this ASAP.

Bob

Collapse -
TIM YOU MUST BE KIDDING?
by stewart norrie / April 8, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

Wont work that way. What model # is your amp Ial look it up for you and tell you how to do it, you may have to upgrade your amp? also let me know your whole set up every piece of equipment the only thing I cant help you with is the snack bar If you want to blow all your retirment money c.net will help you stewe

Collapse -
TIM THE ONLY WAY THIS WILL WORK
by stewart norrie / April 8, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

Run left and right stereo from v.c.r. to phono input on amp and v.c..r left and right to tape input on amp then run all your vidio straight to t.v so when you want to watch the d.v.d. player you will switch vidio inputs on t.v. and switch audio inputs on with amp Now take on two jobs save up some cash and enter the world of home theater prices are so low that you can have your own hi-def with 5.1. dobley digital sound for around $2000 and that would give you theater qual;ity sound and picture Once you see Discover H.D theater you will cry with Joy If interested you have come to the rite place to bone up . once you understand how everything works you can have a system that will be as sweet as a system that works as good as a system costing twice as much money, and thats cash in your pocket steweee

Collapse -
(NT) Get an A/V switch box about $25 at Best buy. John
by jcrobso / April 9, 2007 12:57 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!