TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Audio Issues and the PS3

by kaizersosay / March 16, 2009 2:25 AM PDT

I hhave recently purchased a PS3. I also have a HK354 receiver. I decided to connect the PS3 to my HK354 receiver via component cables (ie red yellow white). I then connect to my receiver to the t.v via HDMI cable. After about an hour of playing the game I start to hear crackling noises through my speakers in the surround sound. Please tell me what to do to rectify this situation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Issues and the PS3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Issues and the PS3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm
by bearvp / March 16, 2009 4:51 AM PDT

Well first off you shouldn't be connecting your PS3 to your receiver using composite (red/white/yellow) cables if you want to make use of HD video and sound support. Your receiver can accept HDMI inputs, so connect your PS3 to your receiver via HDMI and then keep using your HDMI cable between your TV and receiver. The way you have it set up right now, your PS3 is sending a 480i/p signal to your receiver which then needs to be upconverted by either the receiver or TV to an HD format, thus you lose picture quality.

As for the speaker crackling sounds...see if the switch to HDMI makes a difference and re-run the PS3 audio auto set-up again. Then just double check the rest of the audio settings on the PS3 XMB menu.

Collapse -
respond to hmmm
by kaizersosay / March 16, 2009 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Ok I did exactly as I was told. I went out and got a 1.3b HDMI cable. I also was instructed at the local AV store to pick up an optical cable(I got both). I connected the ps3 video to the receiver via HDMI and I connected the audio via fiber optic. I went to the receiver and changed the settings to match what was coming in from the ps3. I then went and changed the ps3 settings to match the connections to the receiver. Now my receiver jumps from sound setting to sound setting (Dolby DTS, dolby tru Logic, Dolby 2channel, Dolby 5.1) and one time the sound just went out completely. I have an HK 5.1 surround sound system. I even check boxed all of the sound settings manually in the PS3 so it would output the right sound to the receiver. This is becoming a headache........ Please Help!!!

Collapse -
HDMI cable
by bearvp / March 17, 2009 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: respond to hmmm

You should be able to connect just one HDMI cable from your PS3 to your receiver, without the optical audio cable. This way, both your video AND audio are transmitted to your receiver by the one HDMI cable. I did a quick check on your HK 354 receiver and it can indeed receive audio from the PS3 via a HDMI cable. All you need to do is set your PS3 to "LPCM" instead of "Bitstream" output in the sound settings. Then you probably need to fiddle with your input setup menus on your HK 354 to tell it to use the HDMI input for the audio instead of the optical audio input. The PS3 can only output the HD sound formats (TrueHD/DTS-MA) as LPCM, and not Bitstream.

If everything is set-up correctly then once you start to watch a Blu-ray movie your receiver should display something like "Multi-channel PCM" as the sound format type instead of something like "Dolby D, DTS, etc.)

Collapse -
Reply to Hmm
by kaizersosay / March 17, 2009 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI cable

Thank you i'll try this as soon as possible.

Collapse -
I did what was asked of me...........
by kaizersosay / March 17, 2009 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Hmm

I did what you said and I do not get the static while playing the game. But now when I turn the ps3 off and switch my receiver back to the tv or mode I start to hear the static, that I heard while I was playing the ps3 before I bought the HDMI cable. This happened several times after playing the ps3. On the last time I turned the receiver off for about 10 to 15 seconds and then turned it back on and set it to tv mode and then the static went away. What should i do to get the static out completely?

Collapse -
Static
by bearvp / March 18, 2009 1:20 AM PDT

What kind of audio cables are you using for watching cable/satellite TV? It could be a bad audio cable, so maybe try using a different one or try using a different input on your receiver for TV audio to see if that fixes the issue.

Collapse -
sorry for the late reply
by kaizersosay / March 23, 2009 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Static

I have just got the time to reply to you and I must thank you because you have been very helpful. I do not have any issues with my PS3 or the Wii when I use my receiver. I now only have issues watching satellite tv (direct tv). After 10min of watching tv the crackling and popping gets unbearable and it sounds like I am losing a signal to a radio station, there is so much static, when I am watching tv. I dont have this issue with the Wii or PS3 only with the Sat tv. I have the PS3 running with an HDMI cable and I have the Wii running with component cables (red yellow white). My satellite box is not HD so it is connected via component well. This static noise is getting very bothersome.... I can not seem to get rid of it....... I have a HK354 receiver.... I think I should have gone pioneer or dennon!!!

Collapse -
Satellite
by bearvp / March 23, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

Do you have the option of connecting your DirecTV box to your receiver with a digital optical cable rather than the red/white composite RCA cables for audio?

Collapse -
audio issues
by kaizersosay / March 24, 2009 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Satellite

No there is no optical input on the back of the Sat/cable box.

Collapse -
all I can think of left to try...
by bearvp / March 24, 2009 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: audio issues

You might want to try to use a different RCA audio cable (red/white) between your satellite box and your receiver and make sure the connectors are securely on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.