Computer Help forum

General discussion

Audio is not working with a no audio output device

No sound on my vista laptop. Had to force shut down my computer cause it froze and then when i turned it back on i had no sound with an x over my speaker symbol. Under device manager there is no Sound Video And Game Controllers option. Another weird thing is that when i turn my computer on for the first time in the morning, the audio works fine with the sound video and games controls option in device manager. But after a few minutes the sound stops working and after i restart my computer the computer will have no sound and the red x over the speaker and the sound video and games control is not present in device manager. This problem had been very frustrating and if you can help me solve this i will be extremely happy.

I have a compaq presario F700 Notebook PC with ( or had ) conexant high definition smartaudio 221. No custom parts

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio is not working with a no audio output device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio is not working with a no audio output device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Couple Of Thoughts..

In reply to: Audio is not working with a no audio output device

1. Visit the computer manufacturer or the audio card manufacturer's website and download, then install the most recent, updated audio driver for your computer.

2. Use System Restore back to a time when things worked correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Attempt to download drivers

In reply to: Just A Couple Of Thoughts..

Collapse -
Please clarify....

>>Another weird thing is that when i turn my computer on for the first time in the morning, the audio works fine ...<<

Does this happen everyday ? If you mean that it happened just before the problem, then the sound card is defective,as it no longer can be detected by the OS It is not a driver problem. If the audio card is still good but the drivers arn't, you get an improper installation, which means that you will get an X or ! at the device manager,[in your case, it is not even listed] and listed as a prolem device at "System Informatio".

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Please clarify....

I have a red x over the speaker icon. The next day after i had the problem of no volume i turned my computer on and the volume was working, but after 15 minutes or so the volume stopped working. I again restated my computer and had the red x over the icon problem like i had the first time with audio problems. Also, there is not audio device listed in device manager when there is the red x over the speaker. The subcategory for sound video game controllers is not listed in device manager.

Collapse -
Not every day.

In reply to: Response

The first time I started my computer up in the morning the initial two days after the problem the sound would work but would soon stop working. Today, the third day since i lost volume i had no sound when i turned my computer on for the first time in the morning and haven't gotten sound after restarting. After restarting to try getting the sound to work my computer would come up with the problem i mentioned with the red x and no audio devices listed in device manager

Collapse -
Tried Downloading From Compaq?

The link below is their audio driver for your model of computer and operating system. It appears to be a later version of the driver and would be better to install.

Conexant HD-Audio SmartAudio 221 Driver

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tried the download

In reply to: Tried Downloading From Compaq?

Got an error message while trying to install. Error was "could not find the device for this driver" Could that have something to do with no audio devices showing up in device manager?

Collapse -
If The Correct Driver Isn't Finding The Device...

In reply to: Tried the download

...then it appears like your sound card has died. But first, have you tried the steps in the sound troubleshooting options from the Compaq website? Are you using Service Pack 1 on your Vista? Maybe Service Pack 2. If so, you should install the BIOS update per the instructions.

Audio Stops Working After Installing Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)

On the other hand, if the fixes above don't work, then it's probable you're sound card has failed. Unfortunately, on a laptop, you're only recourse is to replace the motherboard, install a USB sound card, or simply do without sound.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have SP2

In reply to: If The Correct Driver Isn't Finding The Device...

I don't think my sound card is broken since i did't drop my computer or anything like that. Also, could this be a settings issue? I force shut down my computer when it froze and when i restarted it there was no sound. That was the first time i has the problem. Could a setting have been lost or changed do to the force shutdown of my computer?

Collapse -
(NT) I Would Still Udpate The BIOS Per Instructions..

In reply to: I have SP2

Collapse -

Install sound drivers again.It will surely solve your problem.

Collapse -
Sound drivers

In reply to: reply

Tried many times with no luck. Get an error saying there is no device for the drivers

Collapse -
HELLLP

In reply to: Sound drivers

Anyone have any other ideas of what i can doo!!

Collapse -
Re: no audio

In reply to: HELLLP

Collapse -
To Kees Bakker

In reply to: Re: no audio

So if i buy the 7 dollar external sound card featured on that link i will have sound even with my broken internal sound card? and if so does the 7 dollar zalman product come with everything i need to be able to have sound ?

Collapse -
I expect so, yes.Or I wouldn't have said it.

In reply to: To Kees Bakker

Maybe others can confirm?

Kees

Collapse -
Kees

In reply to: I expect so, yes.Or I wouldn't have said it.

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Yep, I've Already Mentioned An External Sound Card Above

In reply to: I expect so, yes.Or I wouldn't have said it.

And yes, I've seen a few USB sound cards that are only $3.00.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I had read that.

In reply to: Yep, I've Already Mentioned An External Sound Card Above

So I thought I'd lookup how much they were at the moment. Could be a factor in the decision.

Kees

Collapse -
Help for your laptop

In reply to: HELLLP

The sound card is integrated into the MOBO...It is not detected, and probaly gone... Time to go for a replacement MOBO. You may be able to reinstall Windows with the recovery disks and then change the keys to the one on the sticker underneath the computer and activate the OS. Othewise, look for a new laptop.

Collapse -
So i guess i will get an usb audio card

In reply to: Help for your laptop

What usb audio cards work with external speakers?

Collapse -
What I would do...

In reply to: So i guess i will get an usb audio card

... get a new replacement MOBO for the laptop. That MOBO is going south with the no audio device thing... others will be going too. I would now backup my files...in preparation of getting a new laptop.
===> USB Soundcards

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, Most Have An External Speaker Jack

In reply to: So i guess i will get an usb audio card

Collapse -
Re: new laptop

In reply to: Help for your laptop

An advice to backup is never wrong. But an advice to replace the motherboard ($400) or buy a new laptop ($600) is overdone at the moment.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.