Question

Audio from 2 different sources?

i have a usb headset with i mic that i need to use as the primary for taking calls. i also want to attach a second source to listen to the calls as a trainer. 2 usb headsets do not work with this setup. i was told to get a y-jack adapter but am unable to find a usb y-jack adapter.
i was wondering if it were possible to use headphones in the actual headphones port and have sound coming out of there while at the same time, having the trainee on the usb headset talking to the customer. is this possible? and if not, what do you suggest as a better solution (without buying expensive equiptment)?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Audio from 2 different sources?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Audio from 2 different sources?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
DOA.

Any USB switch fails due to issues I won't dive into. It's what they call DOA.

I strongly suggest you go back to plain analog solutions.
Bob

- Collapse -
not failing

its not failing... the usb headset currently works. i want to add a secondary device that i can hear out of. thats it

- Collapse -
That's not in your first post.

If you change from " attach a second source to listen to the calls " to " add a secondary device that i can hear out of. " then you changed the spec.

Why can't you wire in a second set of headphones? It's basic electrical tech work.
Bob

- Collapse -
expensive equiptment

if i owned this equiptment, i definately would try that. unfortunately the company owns these headsets and they run around $75 each. that would be an expensive lessons if by chance i messed up. any other suggestions besides modifying the actual hardware?

- Collapse -
Sorry but in my line of work that's cheap stuff.

Not to dismiss that as cheap, the work is basic electrical stuff I'd expect your first year electronics college student to get done over lunch.

--> But here's the problem. Your first post and title differs from your later post as to the want or need.

As to USB switching and more, while I might expect a guru embedded designer to craft up a solution in 3 to 6 months the cost would easily reach 5 figures. This is why the old school analog solution should be considered here.
Bob

- Collapse -
time consuming

it might be cheap but slicing together 1000 headsets would take quite a bit of time. as for my first post, sorry that it wasnt clear but my followup post is what i need a solution to... which from what i understand... there is none?

- Collapse -
Just a day's work in the factory.

My work involves writing up a document to make such cables. So from my vantage point the only thing that stops this from getting done are the folk that must have it done.

If this is your old need to listen in on the content issue, the old analog solution is the cheap exit.

-> But I have a question. Why did this company buy 1000 headsets that would not do the job?

Someone goofed on the spec.
Bob

- Collapse -
good question

thats a great question. there apparently wasnt much forsight in that decision was there? so we have a softphone system where our call floor receives calls through a program called Five9. their program isnt capable of running 2 usb softphones simultaneously. we have to use 2 computers to train 1 person. pretty lame huh?

- Collapse -
Actually may be cheap too.

We pay something less that 250 for a netbook for a training system so all the time and effort into fixing software at what is a few thousand is often dismissed and we pull in more PCs.

Sounds like the old balancing act.
Bob

CNET Forums