General discussion

Audio Driver

I run Windows 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 1720 (in order to excess files created on an old program). I am searching for an Audio Driver. Dell only offer one for XP or Vista, and neither are compatible with Windows 2000. I would appreciate advice on this. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Audio Driver
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Audio Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: audio driver

The least information that's needed is the audio device you're looking for a driver for. A driver is device specific. So unless you know the make and model, nobody can help.

Now once you know that information there are 2 possibilities:
1. You can download a Windows 2000 driver somewhere. Problem solved.
2. You can't find a Windows 2000 compatible driver. That's the interesting case.

In case no driver is available you've got several options:
a. Find an audio device that comes with a Windows 2000 driver. Install that in place of the current one. Problem solved.
b. You can't find any Windows 2000 compatible audio device anymore (not even on eBay), although they surely did exist 10 years ago. That's the interesting case.

In case you can't find any compatible hardware, you've got several options.
1. Upgrade to a more recent OS that supports your hardware and find a more recent (version of the old) program to access that old files.
2. Run Windows 2000 in a virtual machine on that more recent OS. While inside that virtual machine to run that old program you probably won't have sound, but in all 'normal' situations you have. If that old program doesn't need the sound (you didn't tell), this would probably fulfill your requirements.

Kees

- Collapse -
In looking at Dell support

According to the device that laptop uses, SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio the audio driver is available for Win 2000. Look for version 5.10.0.5515, A11. For some reason a posted link will not get you what I found, so just Google for : SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio 5.10.0.5515, A11 Pick the Dell support site.

- Collapse -
Audio Driver

Thanks for your help. I have already tried that but I get a message "Your system does not support this driver"

- Collapse -
One idea.

Try using the Dell Service Tag when you look for drivers.

AND DON'T FORGET to install the motherboard chipset driver package FIRST or other drivers will fail.
Bob

CNET Forums