Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Audio Conversion

Hi,
I am 75 years old and a complete newbie and you will be able to tell from my question that I don't have any knowledge of audio or its formats.
I am downloading audio from the BBC and wish to transfer it to CD so I can play it in my automobile. The problem is that some of the programs are about 2 hours. Since it will be played in my Automobile with its limited sound qualities, the sound does not have to be of optimum quality. Is there any way or format that I can put a 2 hour program on a CD that will play in an Automobile?
I currently have the DAK Wave MP3 editor but have not received much help on the subject from the same question to their site, but I am willing to try another program.
Is there any internet audio site that you might suggest that I can subscribe to that will be able to help me learn about audio conversions or buring to CD?
Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Conversion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Conversion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is a regular cd player or doesn't it play mp3 as well?

In reply to: Audio Conversion

If it's just a regular cd player then you are out of luck. If it play mp3, then you are more likely can put more than 2 hours of music there.

Collapse -
Audio Conversion

In reply to: This is a regular cd player or doesn't it play mp3 as well?

Hi,
My automobile operators manual states - "Using an MP3 CD" "The MP3 player will accept MP3 files that were recorded on an up to 700 MB CD-R CD. The files can be recorded with the following fixed bit rates: 32 kbps, 40 kbps, 56 kbps, 64 kbps, 80 kbps, 96 kbps, 112 kbps, 128 kbps, 160 kpbs, 192 kbps, 224 kbps, 256 kbps and 320 kbps or a variable bit rate." This information means nothing to me but does it mean that I can put a 2 hour radio program on a standard CD? If so, I would really appreciate any information on how to go about it or where I could find a tutorial or instructions to do this. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Collapse -
Let's start with this one and see how it goes.

Collapse -
Audio Conversion

In reply to: Let's start with this one and see how it goes.

Hi,
Thanks for all your help.

In your last message you stated: "As for bit rate, just remember the higher the bit rate, the better the sound quality but it also require more space on the cd."

Is there any formula or chart that will tell me the maximun bit rate versus total time? In other words - if the total time of my download is 2 hours what is the maximum bit rate I can use for the file to fit on a normal CD? While I am not concerned with achieving maximum quality since they will be played in my automobile, I would like to make them at the maximum quality allowed.

Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Collapse -
Audio Conversion

Hi,
I downloaded the program you suggested but couldn't find out how to open up a file in it, or even if I did, convert it to something usable. I visited the Help files but nothing made sense to me. The file I want to convert is 01:57:00 in length of time, and 1,209,392 kb in size. I have no idea what its present format is or even how to find out.

Please remember I am a complete newbie in this process.

Respectfully,
Graphics Guy

Collapse -
I think you are right about the program;

It's not very user friendly. Personally I use Nero to do most of my video and audio work. Give me a little time I'll see if I can come up with a better program.

1,200,000kb in 2 hour is very likely a .wav file.

Collapse -
--Thank you for your assistance.

In reply to: Let's give this a try.

Hi,

Thanks, but I think I am OK now.

I appreciate all of your advice. I found out that I also have a converter program located in my DAK Wave MP3 Editor. I didn't understand how you can put a two hour program on a CD that I thought could only hold about an hour of material.
Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Graphics Guy

Collapse -
regular cd

it is just a regular cd player

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.